Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What magnetic encoder does MKS Servo42A have?

Posted by kuan 
What magnetic encoder does MKS Servo42A have?
February 26, 2020 05:29AM
Hello! I am thinking to buy the MKS Servo42A however I couldn't find any information about the magnetic encoder they use. Does it have Allegro's A1333LLETR-T encoder as in MKS Servo42B or the better AS5047D?
Re: What magnetic encoder does MKS Servo42A have?
February 27, 2020 12:50AM
Ok, so I got an answer directly from Makerbase. It turns out that both motors use Allegro's A1333LLETR-T magnetic encoder. In fact, previously they were using AD5047D but because the supply was very unstable they changed it to A1333LLETR-T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 12:51AM by kuan.
February 27, 2020 12:52AM
kuan
Ok, so I got an answer directly from Makerbase. It turns out that both motors use Allegro's A1333LLETR-T magnetic encoder. In fact, previously they were using AD5047D but because the supply was very unstable they changed it to A1333LLETR-T.

They changed because it is cheaper. Do a search about this product and how dishonest these guys are, stealing others work !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 27, 2020 01:16PM
Why are you saying that they are dishonest and how are they stilling other peoples work?
On their github repo they write:

Makerbase
Based on the open project of nano_stepper by Misfittech:[github.com].

Makerbase
The hardware is under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 License as much of the work is based on Mechaduino project by J. Church. [github.com].

The firmware is based on nano_stepper project by Misfittech:[github.com], which is licensed as GPL V3 for non-commercial use. If you want to release a closed source version of this product, please contact MisfitTech.net for licensing details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 01:16PM by kuan.
February 27, 2020 02:39PM
[misfittech.net]

February 28, 2020 12:33AM
Well, respect to Makerbase -- they managed to build a $20 closed loop stepper motor. They didn't steal anything, their product is open source and is based on another open source product (and they acknowledged the original creator).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 12:33AM by kuan.
February 28, 2020 02:10AM
They are breaking the license, ie they are stealing.

The firmware they are using is licensed as GPL V3 for non-commercial use.

Ie home users get to use it for whatever, but if you want to sell It you must get a commercial licence.
February 28, 2020 02:46AM
kuan
Well, respect to Makerbase -- they managed to build a $20 closed loop stepper motor. They didn't steal anything, their product is open source and is based on another open source product (and they acknowledged the original creator).

Open source like in: copy an open hardware design, use cheap (aka slave) labor and parts to sell it making an immediate profit (no development cost, marketing already done), steal open source firmware, change it a bit to put your logo for ex., then claim it is open source because indeed the original open source firmware can run on this cloned hardware !

OK, I reckon I bought a MKS SBASE to try a 32bit controler and Smothieware (original board hard to get where I live), Marlin without risking too much money. Got it to work without bothering the original creator BTW.
I recently moved to RRF.

I may toss it in the garbage can once a I settle for a firmware. No hard feeling as I learned something using it but I would NOT recommend it due to its limitation. Of course if you need support from Makerbase, forget it !

PS: I do paypal donation when I am happy and use "open source" stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 02:47AM by MKSA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login