Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tmc2208 jumper wires becoming loose? any tips for a more secure fit?

Posted by xnopasaranx 
tmc2208 jumper wires becoming loose? any tips for a more secure fit?
August 01, 2020 10:18AM
I recently compiled a new marlin 2.0.x bugfix and upped speeds and acceleration because I installed linear rails on my printer. This caused a major headache, as I now started to get freeze crashes in the middle of prints. Apparently, there are problems where updating a screen and reading from sd over spi and controlling the stepperdrivers can lock up the scheduler because of some race-condition.

So I wanted to replace my tmc2660 spi drivers with uart tmc2208 (also because the woman of the house does not appreciate stepper motor noises at night like I do for some reason.)

I went ahead and bought 5x bigtreetech tmc2208 and bought the wrong configuration (dir/step), so I had to solder the pads myself. I freed up a couple of pins for one wire rx/tx connection and installed the drivers.

When I was testing via the TMC debug function and no steppers connected, the drivers all came up fine after some wiggling on the jumper wires. Then I put everything back together and now I am getting an error for my X and Z axis.

I can only think of the jumper terminals being not tight enough and the connection having become flaky because of this. I already noticed this during testing, some of the terminals are so loose that it didn't feel like they got hold of the pin at all.

BTW: I am working with an azteeg x5 gt board, 24V PSU.

Does anyone have a better way to connect rx/tx for uart on these? I'd rather not solder the wires or use hotglue...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 10:19AM by xnopasaranx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login