Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quote Pls - ABS - 6" x 9" x 0.5"

Posted by surfshredder 
Quote Pls - ABS - 6" x 9" x 0.5"
January 24, 2012 04:56PM
Can someone give me a price for this prototype?

I need Qty 4 of these.

Should be fairly easy to make.

Thanks!

PK
Attachments:
open | download - FIN, Half Moon, Alpha 1.SLDPRT (184 KB)
open | download - FIN, Half Moon, Alpha 1.PDF (40.4 KB)
Re: Quote Pls - ABS - 6" x 9" x 0.5"
January 31, 2012 04:54PM
A couple things to consider:
- Upload an .stl file as this represents the typical file format for 3D printing. You can export one directly from Solidworks (unless you're using the student's version). Use mm as the main unit.
- Check your measurements. The file is actually just 4.53 * 8 * .5 in.
- This is still barely too big for most people to print. The typical working area for a RepRap is 200x200x140mm, but usually a little less. Splitting the part up will allow more people to print it.
- This is not printable without support material, many people are afraid of using support though - it usually leaves a fairly rough surface and uses up extra material. Support is required for any point that does not touch the XY plane and has a surface angle <45°, relative to the XY plane. The best way to print is probably with the "feet" touching XY and support material holding up the main body.

Do you need the part in any specific color? Lightweight or durable?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 09:08AM by imitation.
January 31, 2012 10:18PM
Definitely need a .stl file. Given it's slight curvature and large size you probably need a very high quality export to prevent lots of faceting.

I think the size is OK since it can be diagonally oriented. It will probably take 3+hrs per fin (at $10/hr for me), and needs to be PLA to prevent cracking at it's size.

These rocket fins?

www.Fablicator.com
February 01, 2012 02:40AM
I would print those tabs as separate pieces and glue them in like dowels. That way you can print the whole thing without support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login