Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ankle 9V battery compartment

Posted by CidVilas 
Ankle 9V battery compartment
October 20, 2010 05:58PM
Hello! I am in the process of designing a "wearable lighting system", and I need to have a place to attach a 9V battery where it will be secure and preferably water-proof. The attached picture is a concept i was thinking of, but of course its still rough. Anyone out there have 3D design capabilities to make it? The idea is to use this "lighting system" to light up the path while running in the dark at night. I just went on a run and twisted my ankle because of a good-for-nothing rock! Ouch! So this is my crazy solution! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

For whoever helps and get this things just right, i will return the favor by sending them a printed copy of it in black or natural PLA. Maybe some cash, if we work something out first.

The requirements are:
-Must be able to hold a standard 9V battery securely inside a compartment
-Must have eye loops on either side for attaching a strap
-Must be ergonomic so it will be comfortable to wear just above your ankle as shown in the poorly drawn pictures

Other than this, please be creative! Thank you! smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - AnkleBattery.JPG (49.4 KB)
Re: Ankle 9V battery compartment
October 21, 2010 12:55AM
These guys might have something like what you're looking for and I think they'll sell just 1 or 2 as samples: [www.okwenclosures.com]

However I think you should just go get a LED headlamp from a sporting goods store and use that. If you're trying to run by lights on your ankles it will probably drive you nuts.
October 21, 2010 01:04AM
I've had good experiences with OKW, they make really great enclosures, very sturdy.

But if you just want something to hold a 9V battery, I just threw this together and posted it on Thingiverse.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Hope that helps!
October 21, 2010 09:14AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Im definitely looking for something ergonomic like @Rodzite suggested, but also i'd like something printable like @jeffkohrman made. If the two designs could be combined, that would be awesome! smiling smiley It may not be the most efficient way to light the way while running, but its just something i wanted to try out. A headlamp will probably be my primary lighting source, but the ankle lights should make for a fun item to have in my lighting arsenal. smiling bouncing smiley

If anyone else wants to give it a shot?
October 22, 2010 06:52AM
slightly off topic, but 3 AA cells will give you over twice the power at usually a lower price.

Is your personal lighting device using white LEDs?

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
October 22, 2010 08:47AM
Yeah ill be using 9 total white LEDs, 3 resistors, and forming 3 branches. This is assuming 9V input. 3 AA means 4.5V which means 2 led's max, per branch(if that). Need to double check the forward voltage for the led's, but I think they are 2.4V.
October 22, 2010 09:26AM
[led.linear1.org]

Helpful for series/parallel arrays. You can play with voltage, LED colors, etc.

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
October 22, 2010 12:19PM
Pico,

Thanks for that link. It should definitely come in handy! smiling smiley
January 16, 2011 04:39PM
I am a mechanical engineer and have some time on my hands. Are you still looking for a designer? We can work out what you need and what you can pay. Email me mr.bradstewart@yahoo.ca
November 06, 2011 09:19PM
Just a though but with the weight of a 9V would it be easier to attach the battery to the top of your shoe and have a quick connect/disconnect to your LED's located further up that way during a run you don't have an overly tightened strap or worse a flopping 9V into your ankles.
July 21, 2013 04:39AM
most white LED's are higher voltage than what you stated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login