Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Threaded component needed

Posted by Njones 
Threaded component needed
August 14, 2011 04:24PM
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a part to be designed & printed. I was hoping someone here would be up to the challenge. smiling smiley

What I need is one of these "Self reversing screws":

[www.abssac.co.uk]

This is to be a component in a pet project of mine, making a mechanism for a hose reel that layers the hose neatly as it winds in.

The bar should be approx 25mm diameter, thread depth of 4 mm, width 4mm, with one turn every 12mm. The screw should be 400mm long (two smaller sections that fit together may be easier to print) with the centre 300mm threaded & 50mm on each end left blank. The rod should have a 10mm hole in the centre for a threaded bar for fixing & strengthening purposes. Take special note of how the thread ends & reverses on the link above!

Budget is "as little as possible",.. but obviously I don't expect anything for free.

I understand the thread may be a little rough from the printing process, but would hope that it could be cleaned up with a file (Print the walls thick please!)

This is the most complex part of my reel, so I'm willing to adjust the rest of the design to make the production of this part a possibility, or at least easier.

Let me know what you can do. smiling smiley
Re: Threaded component needed
August 14, 2011 06:33PM
Where are you located?
August 15, 2011 12:21AM
I'm in Fermoy, Cork, South of Ireland. Will gladly pay postage costs from anywhere in the world though.
August 15, 2011 12:23AM
There's a drawing of a similar component here if its any help:

[www.engineersedge.com]
August 15, 2011 01:32AM
Sounds like a good use of syvwlch's openscad screw library on thingiverse:
[www.thingiverse.com].
August 15, 2011 10:00AM
I don't think the screw library will help much. The trick with these is the end tangency. The little animation they show is a simplified version of the device. The ends need a smooth reduction in lead angle until they are tangent, otherwise the follower will jam.

I'm 90% sure I can whip up one of those in Solidworks and print it in 5 parts. I'll take a crack at the cad tonight to see if it is within my abilities.

Do you have dimensions for a follower to test the screw with?
August 15, 2011 10:26AM
Hi Andrew, I don't have dimensions for a follower,.. I was planning on getting out a dremel & doing a very technical "bodge it till it works" production method. once i've a shape that works I'd use the measurements to produce a solidworks model.

Ditto with the end tangencey,.. my plan was tweak it till it works smiling smiley

But if you reckon you can get the design right without bodging,.. its a much better way to go!!
August 15, 2011 08:09PM

Printing out a short segment to see if it works. Looks about right, though.
August 15, 2011 10:31PM
Nice work. How did you end up doing the reversal section? Is it smooth or just the two threads intersecting?

Also, how do you plan to print this? With support? In 2 halves laying down? could the thread be chamferd enough to print standing up? I notice you have designed a square thread cross section.
August 16, 2011 12:28AM
That looks awesome Andrew!! smiling smiley
August 16, 2011 06:41AM
How did the short segment print Andrew?
August 16, 2011 10:17AM
Reversal is 99.9% smooth. Solidworks lets me do a variable pitch thread, so the end pitch was set to .01 and returning to 12mm at 1/2 revolution.

I printed one vertically and one horizontally. Both were done with 60% support and .3mm layer thickness, 100% fill. Horizontal is the way to go, as it uses 70% less support material, and the pitch of the threads is much smoother.

I'm going to run it through my smoothing station tonight and see what that does (not that I think it really needs it.)
I'll take pictures, too.

Any ideas how to cheaply ship to you? Fedex said close to 100$ from Pa, USA.
August 16, 2011 01:46PM
Fedex are expensive to Ireland. Most bits I get from America are sent USPS & it works out a fraction of the cost. What's the size & weight & I'll search for a good quote?

What do I owe you for your work Andrew?
August 16, 2011 10:00PM
All figured out it would cost $55+ whatever USPS charges to ship it.

I wish I could do it for less but it's a lot of material, and I feel it will need to be printed mostly solid and at .22ish layer height to turn out really well. The part in real life looks a bit better than the super close ups.

Up to you if that's within your budget.

Attached is an image of the full assembly and some 'as printed' and 'post smoothing' pics to help you decide. (this was only printed at .3mm layer)

Either way, I'll upload the .stl's to thingiverse in a few days.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC02843.JPG (405.2 KB)
open | download - DSC02846.JPG (307.1 KB)
open | download - DSC02847.JPG (344.7 KB)
open | download - DSC02844.JPG (233.2 KB)
open | download - DSC02848.JPG (217 KB)
open | download - Self Reversign Screw.jpg (58.6 KB)
August 17, 2011 01:59AM
I love your smoothing station results. Is this what you described in "Surface Finish Improvement" thread? i.e. dangle in a container of with heated acetone in the bottom for 30 seconds?. Is this ABS? Do you know if that works for PLA?
August 17, 2011 02:16AM
Thats perfect, thank you Andrew. Let me know what e-mail to paypal the funds to! smiling smiley
August 18, 2011 01:59AM
How's progress Andrew?
August 18, 2011 01:03PM
I should start printing tonight. PM me your Paypal and I'll send you a bill after I figure out what usps costs.
August 19, 2011 01:49AM
PM sent. smiling smiley
August 20, 2011 10:52AM
All printed. Just need to clean them up.
Attachments:
open | download - Reversign Screw Plate.jpg (472.2 KB)
August 20, 2011 11:28AM
So cool. Any chance we might see the files on thingiverse, if both of you are amenable? Also, what about the carrier that actually changes direction? I can imagine a smaller version of this, geared to a reel holder, to allow neat transfer of filament onto reels.
August 20, 2011 11:37AM
I have no problem donating the source if Njones doesn't mind.

The carrier should be easy enough to make with normal tools; it is pretty much just a semicircle. Following the initial links should make it fairly obvious what it looks like.

I think this would be really tough to make this small enough to be useful for winding filament.
August 20, 2011 01:35PM
That looks fantastic Andrew! I've no problem at all with the source files being shared. smiling smiley
August 24, 2011 05:49AM
You manage to find out postage costs yet Andrew?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login