Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

As a follow up, iPhone back cover with a leaf vein pattern

Posted by iamwil 
As a follow up, iPhone back cover with a leaf vein pattern
November 06, 2013 01:33PM
I'm still relatively new at 3D modeling, and my main tool of choice right now is OpenSCAD, coming from the programming world, it was a nice fit. However, while it's good at mechanical CAD, I was wondering about more organic shapes. It was difficult for it to handle things beyond a certain size of complexity.

I made an iPhone 4 back cover for Graftconcepts, and here's the link.

This time, I tried converting a picture into an extruded pattern for the iPhone back cover. I first searched on Flickr's creative commons library of leaf vein pictures. I had to pick one that was in sharp focus, and relatively high contrast. Then I used GIMP to convert it to grayscale, and then thresholded it. Then I used Inkscape to import the image and convert it into DXF for OpenSCAD. I had to use an extension to save into a DXF format the OpenSCAD likes. And then after that, I was able to import it into OpenSCAD, but it took 10 minutes to do so. So once I had done that, I exported it to STL, then re-imported it back into OpenSCAD for use. After that, it was relatively smooth sailing.

Wil
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1872.JPG (172 KB)
Re: As a follow up, iPhone back cover with a leaf vein pattern
November 08, 2013 06:27PM
Neat, well done. Wish the process was less arduous though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login