Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printed model plane parts

Posted by kwikius 
3D printed model plane parts
April 28, 2014 03:45AM
Here are a couple of pics of my model plane with various 3D printed parts. The 3D printed parts include the wing/boom joints, and the nut traps in the wings, the tail/boom joints and the threaded connectors for the tailplane, the motor mount/cowl . The plane will also have an FPV camera in the nose, which will have a 3D printed mount to replace the bit of foam on the nose, but I am just designing it now. I hope the plane will eventually reach 150 m.p.h. + smiling smiley

All printing done in PLA on my Ormerod

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
Re: 3D printed model plane parts
May 13, 2014 06:58AM
150? you planning on killing people? lol flying at that speed would be a little unsafe. especially at this scale lol will need a lot of downthrust to stop your plane from ending over lol
that said, how fast you got it flying now? and do you have any ground footage of it?
im a foam kinda guy so i work much slower.. tongue sticking out smiley plus i live in london so a 150mph foamie is definately a no no tongue sticking out smiley
May 20, 2014 02:47AM
For such speeds one would think that swept back wings are required. As is a tiny touch of elevator up or down and the resulting G forces would really test those wings. In that case, you'll enjoy this video: [www.youtube.com]
They get their RC plane to go 116 miles an hour. Fast.
May 20, 2014 07:32AM
nistrum
150? you planning on killing people?

Maybe you're not entirely up to date on what model plane builders do these days smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 20, 2014 09:13AM
Here's another one, a measured 709 km/h = 440 mph:

[www.youtube.com]

May 21, 2014 01:43PM
hahah, i am fully aware of what they CAN do. i fly RC. the thing is i have flown at 100 mph and its incredibly hard to control, when things go wrong they go wrong REALLY quick. that was more my point.
May 22, 2014 05:24AM
nistrum
the thing is i have flown at 100 mph and its incredibly hard to control, when things go wrong they go wrong REALLY quick.

Yes, this is something astonishing me, too. How can these people control a thing reliably which passes by faster as the camera can follow? Which is over the clouds (and then invisible) in a second? Which can roll over in the blink of the eye? Likely it needs many years of training.

For myself I was always more comfortable with planes not faster than my bicycle.

VDX
May 22, 2014 05:49AM
... really experienced pilots don't fly "per view", but with a complex 'prefetch realtime-simulation' in their head -- so they can interact with the plane/copter without normal reaction-time delay.

Another point is active reducing of this specific 'reaction-time delays' through extensive training - when I was more active with gaming and was tested for reaction-time with a milti-lamp/kill-button setup, my averaged reaction time was around 0.2s ... common delays (of non-gamers) were between 0.4 - 0.5 seconds ... typical reaction-times of experienced drivers while car-driving are in the same ranges too, with mechanical interaction (steering/brakes) between 0.5 - 0.7 seconds ... F1-drivers have r-times around 0.3 seconds grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 31, 2014 12:27PM
nistrum
150? you planning on killing people? lol flying at that speed would be a little unsafe. especially at this scale lol will need a lot of downthrust to stop your plane from ending over lol
that said, how fast you got it flying now? and do you have any ground footage of it?
im a foam kinda guy so i work much slower.. tongue sticking out smiley plus i live in london so a 150mph foamie is definately a no no tongue sticking out smiley

Unfortunately I have been too busy to fly it much , but after completeing it flew it a couple of times and at one point I saw 50 m/s on the OSD. Thats 110 m.p.h, but that is with a so-so motor. I'm hoping to go much quicker than that. Unfortunately not got any good ground footage yet. I hope to get back to it during the summer.

Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
November 19, 2014 11:18AM
For the printed parts, did you have to do any finishing machine work, or sanding? I've seen a lot of 3D prints that have a rather rough texture, which would have a somewhat negative effect on laminar airflow (Though for certain shapes, that could have a sort of "golf ball" effect on actual drag.) How about for the propeller shaft opening?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login