Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FunBot a accidentally created reprap mini printer smiling smiley

Posted by Cliff Mellangård 
FunBot a accidentally created reprap mini printer smiling smiley
November 08, 2014 11:50AM
I only wanted to test printed bushings I found on thingiverse as many people say that they work great.
And I ended up with a mini printer that uses 10 mm wather pipes and 10 mm bushings printed attached to the larger parts for easy assembly.
its early! its rough! its done for fun! and iam slow to update smiling smiley
Will be released as soon as I have finetuned the parts from its rough state.

[youtu.be]

Sorry for the adds I added them when I got unemployed.

First ever print with it to show that it actually works smiling smiley

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 09:42AM by Cliff Mellangård.
Attachments:
open | download - funbot.jpg (600.9 KB)
Re: FunBot a accidentally created reprap mini printer smiling smiley
November 18, 2014 09:58PM
That’s one sweet looking printer ! I like it Very elegant
November 19, 2014 01:15PM
Thanks! it cost me a lot of pain and money to get here and a whole bunch of failed builds smiling smiley
I wanted to contribute with something to the reprap community and most people seam to focus on expensive and advanced models so I went the other way smiling smiley
All files will be released soon but I nead to test the newly created boom and design changes before so I know everything is ok.
The latest progress can be found here ....
[www.youtube.com]

Anyone have a suggestion for the cheapest type of controller board or boards for a printer like this with a single extruder and no heat bed?
I have looked some on tensylu.
[reprap.org]
As it nead to be a board that can be bought at a low price as possible.
I currently use ramps and mega.
November 19, 2014 02:14PM
Nice job. I like it. thumbs up
November 23, 2014 03:17PM
First beta upload on thingiverse.
its in beta stages and will take some time until all is there.
[www.thingiverse.com]
December 01, 2014 03:54PM
Started to spread the files and create the pages now.
[reprap.org]
[www.thingiverse.com]

The reprap wiki is pretty blank right now and created so I can fill it up with wath is neaded.
December 07, 2014 07:01AM
if the build guide is followed so will you end up with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 07:02AM by Cliff Mellangård.
Attachments:
open | download - fb2_preview_featured3c.jpg (477.1 KB)
February 08, 2015 04:11PM
Cliff, I'm going to try building one of these. I'm going to use 3/8 bronze bushings with a printed casing to match a lmu10 bearings. What do you think about using 3/8" aluminum tubes that have about 1mm wall thickness?
February 09, 2015 12:15PM
Great its always fun when people build your stuff smiling smiley
But my design have changed alot and check the thing page instead for the latest files winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 12:16PM by Cliff Mellangård.
Attachments:
open | download - fb thing 1.jpg (473.5 KB)
February 09, 2015 03:37PM
Its very cool. Amazing
February 10, 2015 10:28AM
Thanks smiling smiley
February 11, 2015 02:29PM
I've got the 3/8" bronze bushings ordered. I will be building with 3/8" rods/tubes. Ordered 12" Stainless rods for the Z axis and 12" Aluminum tubes for the X and Y. First couple parts printed. I plan to use a Bowden extruder so weight will be lighter on those axis.

More tonight...
February 12, 2015 02:32PM
Nice smiling smiley
I haven't got to the Bowden part so far as I got my hand full with the basic updates on the design smiling smiley
But I also plan a Bowden version in a later stage smiling smiley
So share any Bowden extras you make on the thing page as a remix winking smiley
February 15, 2015 06:52PM
Finally got my 3/8" bronze bushings and rods in from Servocity. I printed out the bushing holder and did a test fit. Pretty good... I'm using 12"x3/8" Stainless rods for the Z axis, and 12"x3/8" aluminum tubes for the X and Y axis. If the tubes don't work out I'll get some more rods.

February 16, 2015 11:32AM
Intresting looks very nice and could you fill me in on wath type of bushings and where to get them ????
And maybe provide the housings you use as a remix later on winking smiley
Looks nice mike smiling smiley
February 16, 2015 11:39AM
I'm also in the process of printing the parts for this printer. If it turns into a build I will definitely post photos.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
February 16, 2015 12:22PM
I got the bushings from Servocity.com I got the 3/4" length ones. I use one per holder. I'll post up the stl when I do the remix, but here's the OpenSCAD code I used which worked well printing on a Davinci 1.0a in ABS. You may need to change it a bit for your printer.

difference() {
cylinder(h=30, r=9.595);
translate([0, 0, -50])	cylinder(h=120, r=6.63);

}

Adding STL for bushing holder.
bushingbearingv3.stl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 05:17PM by madmike8.
February 16, 2015 02:17PM
Thanks mike I will check that as it looks intresting smiling smiley

MindRealm
I'm also in the process of printing the parts for this printer. If it turns into a build I will definitely post photos.
Cool! and please report any issues you might have with the build as I fund and design on a limited budget so there could be flaws and mistakes smiling smiley
I only wanted to design a cheap simple reprap that still looks cool smiling smiley
I so far have 2 working ones that gives pretty good prints for the money and effort that is neaded on the build.
My biggest issues are more or less to finetune the printed bushings as the igus ones from thingiverse do create print artefacts at some stages due to the fact that they seam to not slide as softly always .
I have a brand new bushing I have designed my self that will be released as soon as I see that they are actually that much better that I belive.
they are specificly created for the funbot to be solid and slide softly even when they are fitted tight on the rods.
February 16, 2015 02:21PM
Mike the z carriage is upside down so you know it as the belt should go on the back of the rods smiling smiley
February 16, 2015 03:31PM
Cliff Mellangård
Mike the z carriage is upside down so you know it as the belt should go on the back of the rods smiling smiley

LOL, I didn't catch that... But I was mainly trying to see how well the bushings work. I'm not sure how well the aluminum tubes are going to work, but I'm going to give them a try. The stainless rods work great with the bushings.

Cliff I like your design. I was looking for a small 3d printer to use in my office at work, and use PLA only. I was either going to make a Tantalus or Regpye's Smartrap until I looked at yours and found 3/8" bronze bushings.

So, far everything I've printed has fit properly. I just have the cable parts and end stop holders left to print. I need to cut and drill my board for the base. I'll also need to order the long M3 screws for mounting the steppers. I think I have most of the rest of the hardware. Still trying to decide on which extruder to use, and how to mount it.

Mindrealm, do you plan on building a 10mm version or a 3/8" version?
February 16, 2015 03:44PM
Probably going to go with 3/8" due to easy sourcing here (US) compared to 10mm. Although I may actually print all 10mm, and use printed 10mm bearings with 5/16" rods. Decisions, decisions... tongue sticking out smiley

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
February 16, 2015 03:56PM
Here is a video I just uploaded about my own design on a bushing for the funbot smiling smiley
There will be 5 size versions wher the us 3/8 is the smallest and first smiling smiley
I create them in 5 sizes because of the variations on how printers do them so one of the sizes should work for some one smiling smiley
I my self use the funbush eu Large wich is the second largest and used in the video smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

I have adapted the entire design to work with us 3/8 dimensions and European 10 mm smiling smiley

Great to see you guys building it and talking about it smiling smiley
Its the largest credit I can get for my work smiling smiley
The ads on youtube don't do much as I earn 2-3 $ a month and the development costs a lot more per month smiling smiley
But who cares about money when its so much fun tinkering smiling smiley

The first us bushing have a inner dimension of 10 mm that will decrease to to 9.7-9.8 depending on the printer that prints them and slide very well on us pipes and then do the inner dimension simply increase by 0.2 mm to be printable on most machines and nozzle sizes on the other versions smiling smiley
Wath I know so is us standard 3/8 = 9.6 mm ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 04:00PM by Cliff Mellangård.
February 16, 2015 04:43PM
Cliff if I decide to use stainless rods on the X axis, do you think the far end will need to be supported? Maybe like a crane with a tower on the Z carriage and a wire over it to the X end. Maybe a turnbuckle to adjust support?

Oh, btw forgot to mention I really liked the extruder plate idea. If I can figure out how to make it safe, I might add a laser at some point.
February 16, 2015 05:36PM
I haven't had the time to update this small thing but you can regulate the far ends height and stiffness with 2 8 mm long m3 screws in the coming update and is easy to add to already printed parts smiling smiley
I will show where to put them and upload the new fixed z carriage parts soon this week smiling smiley
This should make it work well with heavier pipes also smiling smiley
Have to go to bed now as I start to work in 5 hours smiling smiley
The factory called me back to work a few days this week and I nead all the extra money I can get there smiling smiley
February 16, 2015 05:57PM
Work Brother Work... Night Cliff..
February 16, 2015 08:25PM
Slight change up in my plans... I found a 12mm thick x 293mm x 303mm aluminum plate in my shop. Think I'm going to use it for my base plate. Then I will use 8" x 8" x 1/8" aluminum plates for the bed.
February 17, 2015 04:14PM
That's the deluxe version and the best solution if you have the parts.
aluminium is a lot better then wood and acrylic in many ways smiling smiley
Feed me some images when you have don the plate winking smiley
February 18, 2015 08:19PM
I printed out two Bowden extruders. The first one Link is for a Mk8 gear. When I couldn't find my Mk8 gear, I printed this one Link for a Mk7 gear. Now I just have to figure out mounting.

Mk8

Mk7

February 19, 2015 06:08AM
I actually have some early ideas about mounting a similar extruder side by side with the x carriage motor so the spool holder still can be used but I haven't got it in to a model so far smiling smiley
This way so should the 2 motors counter weight the hotend also and still make a very compact printer smiling smiley
I have many ideas but so little time and money sadly smiling smiley
February 20, 2015 09:40AM
Cliff, Your idea is interesting... I'll have to think on it... I was thinking a plate that bolts over/under the Spool Holder plates. It would stick out toward the front and allow the extruder to mount in the same plane as the hotend. That way the bowden tube isn't twisting as much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login