Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Intro

Posted by Woodsmoke 
RepRap Intro
September 30, 2015 08:15PM
Hi RepRappers

Here are a few images of a 3D printer project that's been on my workbench for too long now. It's best description is an 'Easy Epic Win for novice Engineers'. The basic motivation is to make an educational RepRap platform that is robust enough to endure repeated and amateurish dis/re-assembly and a long tail of user upgrades and accessories, (some of which have been designed already: please see the RepRap - Intro wiki). I hope it will find a home in schools and fab-labs.

The initial value proposition though, is a highly curated, hands-on 3D printer assembly experience. Chocolate box style trays of components arrayed for easy access during a build. And sub assemblies that deal with assembling different printer components in turn. Power supply, electronics, motors etc.. These sub assemblies all bolt together to complete a construction 'journey'. It's been some work to incorporate all the assembly instructions on the printer panels themselves. And it needs another draft. But if there's interest, over the longer term I'd like to amend them so there is material relevant to the UK curriculum. Desktop 3D printers are a real game changer for the education of designers and engineers (not to mention every subject really). And RepRaps seem to be the neatest way of addressing that. IE: making design teaching more substantive, with real world constraints (design for 3d printing/construction/manufacture). And engineering teaching more creative, more testable, more applied, IE take responsibility for successful 3D printer operation. (And don't forget 'more appealing', considering the UK engineers shortfall).

For more advanced users it has some other appealing features. Auto bed levelling, Auto E-steps calibration, jam detection (need some help with coding firmware), Auto print clear (with a heated bed) and optional parts store. It's also upgrades with a web cam and stand alone printer host. So short of filament refilling, it can become autonomous. It's also got 'mag-fit' (thanks Richrap) hotswapping end-effectors and print beds. If you do get a nozzle jam/finish a print it's easy to drop in a replacement and keep on printing while you attend to things at the workbench.

'Real artists ship.' In an ongoing attempt to do what I love for a living, It's about time to take this to a prefunding campaign and test market interest. In the meanwhile if you're interested in the project or perhaps have have ideas on how to progress it, I'd love to hear from you. Doing all the work alone wasn't my intention at all. I'd really like to hear from industrial/product design/engineers, electronics/computer engineers, front/back end web/IOT developers, teachers and DT technicians. I need help!

Thanks for reading

woodsmoke
3Distributed

P.S> I forgot to credit a very talented friend for his renders: craine.im

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 08:18PM by Woodsmoke.
Re: RepRap Intro
October 01, 2015 03:36AM
Awesome idea for n00bs to get their first printer running.
With all those pictorial assembly instructions, it reminds me of "painting by numbers". Something I did as a youngster, but I never learned painting with that method.

Also the upgradability lacks in one point and that is firmware.
You´d need a firmware configurator, that is as "graphic" as the mechanical assembly.
-Olaf
Re: RepRap Intro
October 02, 2015 07:07AM
Thanks Olaf,

Yes you're dead on regarding the bespoke firmware, and making that easy to incorporate. The more the features, the more work required. Any London based programmers who relish a challenge? please get in touch. Typical startup co-founder/employee opportunities if there's a market..

woodsmoke
3Distributed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login