Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cast Urethane Wheelchair Push Tabs

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Cast Urethane Wheelchair Push Tabs
December 21, 2018 08:18PM
I use these push tabs on my manual wheelchair since I can't grip the push-rim.

I had originally printed tabs using Ninjaflex and they worked very well but over time some broke as the layers delaminated. I needed more and since my 3d printer was down for a while I asked a friend if he could print some. He made one print and suggested it would be much faster to print a mold and cast them from urethane.

We altered the tabs design by adding draft angles to some surfaces so the part could come out of the mold. Then my friend designed and printed the mold and cast the tabs. Another friend installed the tabs and they are working very well. They are a little harder than the Ninjaflex but that seems to be fine.

We did have a hiccup. Originally we had a nut buried in the tab body and the screw ran up through the bottom but when we attached them and applied pressure the rubber could not hold and the tab popped off the push rim. So the friend who was installing them drilled the hole all the way through and bolted them from the top. This is solid and I like seeing the button head M5 screw.

In the end the result is great and another reason to love 3d printing.

And thanks to my friends for making and installing these!

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
Re: Cast Urethane Wheelchair Push Tabs
December 23, 2018 08:07AM
Excellent design process, goes to show 3D printig can improve quality of life, even just a little. Casting is a lot stronger than printing, although TPC flex would probably do the job equally well, layer adhesion is as strong as the stuff itself. Thanks for sharing!

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
December 23, 2018 02:36PM
Thanks for your comments! I'm going to look up your recommended filament. Plus I'll be reading about your printer; it looks awesome.

March 28, 2019 01:40PM
Very nice to see some practical real-world applications of 3D-printing. I can imagine making a 3-stage mold where you first cast some softer PU, then remove a mold piece to cast the rest of the harder PU. These two should be able to bond together so you have the construction with hard solid PU and a softer part where your more fragile skin/hands have to touch it.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
March 30, 2019 07:33PM
Ohmarinus
I can imagine making a 3-stage mold where you first cast some softer PU, then remove a mold piece to cast the rest of the harder PU. These two should be able to bond together so you have the construction with hard solid PU and a softer part where your more fragile skin/hands have to touch it.

I like this idea very much. Maybe in the future I will try that. Can you recommend a soft PU? We used Smooth-on material for this.

April 03, 2019 10:49AM
Garry Bartsch
Ohmarinus
I can imagine making a 3-stage mold where you first cast some softer PU, then remove a mold piece to cast the rest of the harder PU. These two should be able to bond together so you have the construction with hard solid PU and a softer part where your more fragile skin/hands have to touch it.

I like this idea very much. Maybe in the future I will try that. Can you recommend a soft PU? We used Smooth-on material for this.

Ahhh Smooth-On is actually already quite a good solution by itself. We used it on the tools on the art academy I worked some time ago. In that case I'm not sure if it's worth going through all the trouble of making a new mold. Unless you like to experiment, which I think you do winking smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
April 06, 2019 05:08PM
Ohmarinus
Unless you like to experiment, which I think you do winking smiley

You read me well. :-) Sometimes it's difficult to know when to stop iterating.

I will keep looking on the Smooth-on site for materials. I don't have much experience with PU but will try to learn more.

Have a good day!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login