Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Bust Philosopher

Posted by leadinglights 
A Bust Philosopher
May 08, 2013 09:03AM
I have recently completed my Rostock printer and have spent several days trying to get the quality up. Finally, a decent print.

[www.youtube.com]

The time was taken up by my failure to believe that the bowden tube extruder needed 8mm of retraction.

Mike
Re: A Bust Philosopher
May 08, 2013 06:12PM
Hi there,
That's printing very nicely! smiling smiley Lovely finish.
What are you slicing with? Kissicer?
It looks like the support broke away very nicely. Did you have to do any clean-up after the support was removed?
ABS or PLA?
How's the pumped air cooling working out? Looks like it can be a nice focused way of delivering cooling.

Good work.

Regards,
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
May 09, 2013 04:04AM
Hi NumberSix,

I must admit to being delighted with the finish myself. One of the vases had a lot of finer than hair sized hairs on it, I had to hold it in the sunlight to see them; but otherwise no cleaning of visible parts. Invisible parts were a different matter.

The supports had to be filed as well as sanded from the bottom of Socrates' beard and from his plinth - which is not parallel to the base. The bottom of supports where they met the bust itself did leave slight witness marks, but none whatsoever on the top - where they didn't seem to be attached anyway. My first attempt at this bust at 60% of the size, was without support and had severe problems only with the beard, eyes and mouth area. Any attempt to minimise the support on this model failed, if support was switched on it gave the "persian maiden in a veil" regardless of the angle setting - this will need further investigation.

Slicing with Slic3r under Repetier.

Material is PLA which I have only recently rediscovered after earlier failures.- and now I love it.

The pumped air experiments gave early conflicting results and are in abeyance until I get over this affair with PLA. I think I need to redesign the hot end to get the air in even closer, possibly directed through a very small ring orifice. All I can report at the moment is "here be dragons - and maybe a golden fleece".

Mike
May 17, 2013 04:22PM

The time was taken up by my failure to believe that the bowden tube extruder needed 8mm of retraction.
Really? Have some ooze issues myself, doubled retraction to 4mm. maybe i should try increasing it again. Filing off the ooze from the blue PLA i have makes it white.. Which is slightly ugly. (I think because it is just thin bits through which light can scatter before much of the red/green parts of the spectrum get absorbed)
June 29, 2013 06:50PM
Care to share the .stl of Socrates? That is a very nice model.

your print turned out great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 06:51PM by downeym.
June 02, 2014 07:51AM
I did not reply to this before as I had paid for the IP and felt that as the author had not put it in the public domain then I did not want to stand on their toes. Browsing through the web today I find that the author has released it into the public domain so you will find it here:-
[artofcharly.blogspot.co.uk]
There is also a bust of Socrates on :-
[www.123dapp.com]
Both sites require you to register.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login