Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supersimple Spool Holder for Air 2

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Supersimple Spool Holder for Air 2
June 22, 2013 02:39PM
Hi guys, I have designed a supersimple spoolholder, it is used on the Air 2.

I don't know if others have this, but on the top-back part of the machine, my version or the Air 2 has an extra threaded rod, for which I have designed a spool holder. Works like magic!!

Hope you like it.
[www.thingiverse.com]

ps it works supergood!!! I have designed my own filament-guide system with it smiling smiley
Before I had my filament roll on top of the printer, this made the top too heavy and when the X-axis would make a lot of movement, the filament would shake from left- to right on the roll. Now that I mounted the filament spool sideways the printer shake is clearly lower!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 06:35PM by Ohmarinus.
Re: Supersimple Spool Holder for Air 2
June 23, 2013 10:01AM
Here is mine. on machine

and

spool bracket
June 23, 2013 06:25PM
Nice one!

In what software did you model it?
June 26, 2013 06:19PM
By the way, the reason why I mounted the spool on the back of the machine is because I didn't like the height of the printer with a spool mounted on top. I noticed that the more weight is on the top, the more wobbly the machine got.

I have already redesigned my spool-holder to be even lower in height. This weekend I will finalize my design and update the files.

Besides the spool holder I am designing a printable 'kit' which adds a filament slip-guide to the filament hole in the Air frame and a guide to keep the filament rolling off of the spool with ease.

I have also created a back-plate for the machine, so it becomes partly 'enclosed' to prevent draft and keep the heat a bit contained. It's such a shame the whole backside of the machine is completely open!
June 30, 2013 08:32AM
I used Alibre Design. It is not free but not expensive either, around $200 and well worth it.
Easy to use and learn and can do many that you can see on the screen. If you need to make changes, that can be done easy too, just alter the segment in the list that is created and the file will update with the changes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login