Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dying Nylon 816 - Color Chip Time Tests

Posted by AlexCphoto 
Dying Nylon 816 - Color Chip Time Tests
August 31, 2013 06:38PM
Hi all new to this forum,. relatively new to 3D printing, I have a Modified PrintrBot LC v2, and i am currently building a Tazbot.

While playing around with dying nylon i realized that each color can produce a range of shades and tones dependent on shifting variables like temp or time.

So I did a time trial to document what variance i might get with each dye as a reference for future projects. Dying was done at 130 deg f, in a double boiler crock pot set to low, dye and chips where placed in a sealed ziplock and then left in the double boiler water, agitation was done every 1 hour when a chip was taken out. (want a crazy day try doping everything every 55min and running to the kitchen to fish out a numbered chip *chuckles*)

The results so far.

Rit Liquid Dye - Black does not have much of a range, it goes from a dark tan to maybe a walnut at hour 2-4, then very slight shifts of darker black from there on. with that said,. 12 is visibly darker than 9 so if you want super dark black,. let it sit for 12 hours.

Rit Liquid Dye - Cocoa Brown is really great for hitting a wood / caramel tone. Not only that but it also has a wide transitions from hour to hour giving allot of possibilities. the dye itself is a little think, kind of like mud, so digging parts out a specific one at a time was fun!

Rit Liquid Dye - Scarlet this is a nice red, a little dark and a little low on saturation, so its not spot on, but it is close to the "fire engine" red that iv been looking for,. it transitions from a pale pink through maybe a dark strawberry, all the way to what i would call cherry red at 12 hours. every chip shows at least alittle divation from the ones beside it so theres a good range here to play with.

Rit Liquid Dye - Tangerine Very gradual progression, especially after 3 hours, though you can go as long as 12 hours and get an even darker orange if you wish.

Rit Liquid Dye - Dark Green has a very good range with a good amount of difference between hours, i may re do this one with 12 chips as you can take this color way darker than 9 shows.

Rit Liquid Dye - Cherry Red this red takes a really long time to saturate, in the first 4 hours really all you get is a grey with a few red highlights, after 5-6 hours the red starts to take hold but the dark grey continues to darken as well. the end results (though its not captured well here) is actually a kind of alien-ish plastic/metal hybrid (around 4-5 hours).

I will do more of the colors as time permits, and add them to this page, if you want to try your hand at it with varying times and temps I have uploaded the set to Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:139951
Re: Dying Nylon 816 - Color Chip Time Tests
October 01, 2013 09:20AM
Wow, that's a great experiment. It's common for skaters (roller and skateboard) to custom dye wheels with RIT dye. I've seen a lot of experiments with this dye on a variety of plastic, but yours is already the most complete comparison and reference.

Thanks for taking the time to do and document this.
October 01, 2013 10:59AM
*right mouse click, saves images*

Great Color References!

Have you tried dying the filament similar to [richrap.com]

Thanks for posting your results.
December 05, 2013 09:23AM
Those results are to dye for!

nice smileys with beer
December 08, 2013 11:43PM
Man, that looks nice! smiling smiley
December 09, 2013 04:27PM
Awesome Dying!!

T0mmm
Those results are to dye for!

Good one!!
January 04, 2014 01:00AM
ddseeker
Great Color References!

Have you tried dying the filament similar to [richrap.com]

Thanks, yes i have, [www.thingiverse.com] its a neat process, though for good results give it 2-3 weeks drying time after dying. =)

Doing three more colors this week! Expect a few more soon if they turn out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 01:02AM by AlexCphoto.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login