Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12" figure, slightly NSFW

Posted by Dirty Steve 
12" figure, slightly NSFW
January 11, 2014 01:56PM
Latest thing off my printer, printed in 2 parts and assembled with acetone, cold vapor polished. 5 million poly model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 01:56PM by Dirty Steve.
Attachments:
open | download - Corset1.jpg (164.6 KB)
open | download - Corset2.jpg (172 KB)
Re: 12" figure, slightly NSFW
January 11, 2014 02:14PM
Very nice. Would you be interested in sharing the model or exchanging it privately for another hi-poly female figure?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 11, 2014 02:29PM
Thanks! PM sent.
January 17, 2014 11:46AM
WOW, looked up what it would cost to have a print service print this 12" figure, $2,200 in ABS, $11,300 for Stainless Steel......youch! Shapeways and iMaterialize prices. Larger than the build envelope for most materials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 11:47AM by Dirty Steve.
January 20, 2014 11:25AM
I would like the files too smiling smiley the model is pretty smiling smiley
January 20, 2014 01:08PM
It's a one-off for an art gallery show.
January 22, 2014 01:35PM
You could try to make a silicon mold with it and then cast it in tin which has a low melting point. Or maybe do it in sand and use the lost wax method. This way you can cast it in aluminum.

Anyway, a nice statue/model. It would be nice to see it in unpolished aluminum though winking smiley
February 05, 2014 11:07AM
Nice finishing, will done
March 24, 2014 12:59AM
Could you explain the cold vapor polishing technique you used?

Thanks
March 26, 2014 09:53PM
There is a video on Youtube, but I can't find it again because it has some weird title.

Take a clean 1 gallon metal paint can, line the inside with a couple of paper towels and hold them in place with magnets. Soak the paper towels with 2 or 3 ounces of acetone, just enough to soak the paper towels but not puddle at the bottom of the can.

Place the can, open side down, over top of your print sitting on a piece of glass and leave it set for 40 minutes. Remove the can and let the part dry overnight.

I suggest doing test pieces at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 minutes as time may vary with ABS from different suppliers and ambient environment variables.

When first removed, the print may still have visible layers but they will smooth out as it drys.

When polishing this way, do not lift the can to check the progress, as this will release the vapor from the can. To avoid this, you can place your print down inside the can and cover it with glass, but then you have the problem of lifting the print out of the can while the print surface is still soft from the vapor.

Great technique, no heated vapor risks, and much easier to do larger prints. Also seems to polish much more evenly over the height of the print, where as the heated vapor polishing has a tendency to polish more on the lower parts of the print than it does toward the top.

I polished this piece in a 5 gallon metal paint thinner can.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 09:59PM by Dirty Steve.
March 27, 2014 07:19PM
Thank you so much for the response, great technique.

Beautiful print BTW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login