Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnetic Gears

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Magnetic Gears
January 16, 2014 06:26PM
I was sitting in the bus, thinking of gears for an extruder, however, I didn't come up with a usable solution, I did manage to design my own gear system with two gears that spin with nothing in between them but magnetic fields.

Hope you like it:
[youtu.be]

The advantage I was thinking of would be that the wheels don't have any kind of wear because they don't have teeth, the only thing wearing would be the bearings that the gears spin on. The weight of the magnets is a bit high and this would render quick extrusion and retraction useless. Also the grip isn't phenomenal, this has to do with 2 facts;
- The magnets are not strong enough and not close enough to eachother
- The magnets used in the small wheel are of the disc type, if they had been of the 'pin' type lik ein the big wheel, they would have a stronger directional magnetic field towards the longer sides

I have learned a bit from designing this (even though the Rhino drawing only took me about five minutes and the print worked correct at the first try) and am thinking of a series of applications in situations where there are two wheels that cannot touch eachother, for example, bridging motion through a window without making a hole in the window.

Besided this way of making a gear, I am going to make a second one that doesn't use the outer edge of a gear, but has one gear next to the other, and also partially above eachother, so the edges are positioned above eachother and are exerting more attraction between eachother. This method will however put more strain on the gears' axis'.

With a mind going a mile a minute, I'm curious to see what I can come up with next smiling smiley
Re: Magnetic Gears
January 17, 2014 02:51AM
Two things, one is under a load the magnets will slip unless they are strong enough for the task. 2, there is an incredible amount of resistence with that setup. But nice job, looks fun to spin it around.
January 17, 2014 04:44AM
The magnets are arranged in such a fashion that every next magnet is turned around so they alternate between + and - and this causes the wheel to spin without much friction, and added to that, the magnetic fields are a bit 'locked' into eachother winking smiley

Indeed, the kinetic energy in the discs is bigger than the attraction in the magnets when they make quick movements so slippage is possible. Today I will print a second carriage where the wheels are positioned even closer to eachother, to see if the performance changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 04:45AM by Ohmarinus.
January 18, 2014 10:13PM
COOL! How did you have this idea!
January 19, 2014 03:31AM
I like it!

Now just put the words "Free Energy" in your description on youtube and you will get a million views! (I'm joking, in case people don't get that smiling smiley but I always think it's funny that free energy magnet-motor-mumbo-jumbo is so much more popular than actual working magnetic devices.)

You might like this magnetic worm gear by h-kimura over on Thingiverse. The worm is a spiral of steel wire embedded in printed plastic, and the magnets are embedded in the gear.
January 19, 2014 10:00AM
Hahaha, yes Matt, I exactly catch your drift winking smiley I am so annoyed by all those conspiracy theory/trolls that claim they have free energy and that the big energy producers are making them shut up etc etc etc.

That worm wheel looks great, however, there is one flaw, and that is that the wire isn't magnetic. If it had been magnetic in some way, it would've had a lot more holding torque. This is why I alternated the magnets that oppose eachother, so in my gear there is not only attraction from the middle magnet, but the ones on the side of it also hold on to eachother. This also causes the effect that the neighbouring magnets are not attracting the 'next' magnet on the other wheel because they are repulsing eachother so the magnets stay perfectly in line.

It's too bad that I don't have a oscillator to see the RPM it can have. I have spun it up with an electric drill and I think the small wheel hit a speed of between 20k and 25k rpm.

The next one will have the magnets even closer and a little adjustment on the bearing holder because the hole was juuuuuuust a little too tight so it had to be forced in with great force and this caused the bearing to be slightly out of center. Also the magnets had to be pushed in with a pliers, and this deformed the wheels slightly so I have to adjust all the tolerances. Because I couldn't access grasshopper in Rhino I have to remake the wheel completely, but it's not much work.

The most work is the idea and figuring out how to improve.

Because the big wheel is slightly out of center (about 0.1mm), the wheel also has a 'resting position'. I would like to get this out of the system because this causes a way of attraction friction and energy is lost.
VDX
January 19, 2014 04:09PM
... think about joining magnets with FerroFluid - look at the images attached to this old post: [forums.reprap.org]

The second image "FF-Pumpe.jpg" shows a gear-worm-like prototype for air trapped in ferrofluid seals, when filling the FF above the magnets and inserting the screw into the tube.

When turning the screw, the trapped volume between the FF-seals is transported in the respective direction ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 19, 2014 05:00PM
Haha, wow, that looks interesting, however, I am afraid I don't completely get what it's for? Even though my 'thing' isn't used in any functional way either..

Tomorrow I get a few bearings that I've been waiting for for a long time so when they arrive I will install my new hotend (0.5mm J-head for 1.75mm filament) and print the new magnetic gears!
VDX
January 19, 2014 07:04PM
... the parts in the image were peristaltic pumps - the radial ones compress a soft tube inserted between the magnets and the counterpart, so the rotation 'pushes' a gas or liquid between the FF-'teeth' in the direction of travel.

The tubular one with the circular screw and the linear counterparts works when the magnets are covered with FerroFluid -- then the FF on the 'linear' and 'circular' magnets enclosures rhombic volumes between them, that moves with rotating the screw in axial direction.

When I was devolping this pumps, another cooperating company was developing 'magnetic gearboxes' for contactless transmitting force into vacuum or as generators for the bigger BMW cars winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 10, 2014 02:22AM
Apparently someone patented this idea in 2009
[www.youtube.com]
December 19, 2014 01:56AM
Here's a clock made with magnetic gears (not mine): [bbs.homeshopmachinist.net]
December 20, 2014 08:16AM
etfrench
Here's a clock made with magnetic gears (not mine): [bbs.homeshopmachinist.net]

Very interesting to see all these objects, I had never heard of it before and thought my idea was 'new' hahaha. Boy was I wrong winking smiley

It's interesting, as when I saw the clock that ekaggrat made, I wanted to design a magnetic clock, but now even that exists!

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 26, 2014 04:05AM
oh no that was my next clock .... crap!!!
January 20, 2015 06:47PM
ekaggrat
oh no that was my next clock .... crap!!!

Haha, the reason why I asked you about the timing was because I wanted to build a magnetic clock winking smiley

We can still both make one?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login