Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tabs for Wheelchair Push Rim

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Tabs for Wheelchair Push Rim
June 08, 2014 02:01PM
I printed these push rim tabs for my wheelchair. I can't grip the rims to propel the chair but I am able to press these tabs. To move the chair backward I can catch the tab in my wrist splint.

These are hard. Eventually I'd like to try printing some in a flexible filament so they would have some 'give' when I hit them for each push.

Re: Tabs for Wheelchair Push Rim
June 08, 2014 06:37PM
That's awesome.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
A2
June 08, 2014 09:11PM
Nice mod thumbs up

I'm wondering if there will be a safety enhancement (i.e. moving too fast and you need to slow down) if you orientate the bolt, and lug 90 deg from what you have shown. By moving the bolt, and lug off of the perimeter of the ring to the face of the ring will allow you a some room on the perimeter of the ring to use as a hand brake.
June 09, 2014 01:01PM
A2
Nice mod thumbs up

I'm wondering if there will be a safety enhancement (i.e. moving too fast and you need to slow down) if you orientate the bolt, and lug 90 deg from what you have shown. By moving the bolt, and lug off of the perimeter of the ring to the face of the ring will allow you a some room on the perimeter of the ring to use as a hand brake.

That might work for someone with normal hand function but I don't have the ability to exert the proper force onto the hand rim; thus the need for the tabs. Also, pointing them 90 degrees to the side would make the chair wider and thus more difficult to move through doors etc. With them pointing up the width of the chair hasn't increased much.
A2
June 09, 2014 02:14PM
Tks for the background details, I also just realized that the tire is exposed well enough to palm-break. Looking forward to seeing what you design next!
June 28, 2014 04:24PM
Very nice job! I suspect that 3d printing will have a greater impact on people with disabilities than on everyone else.

If you need a special prostetic you print it right out. Maybe the attachment points for hands and such need to be standardized like tool changers on industrial robots. With a standard mount designed for a 3d printed attachment it would it easy to change. A soldering iron could attach in way that allows the person to do very precise work. A dremel end could allow fine work of that kind. A mig welding end could work too. Then there are the special fixtures around the house that would make life easier.
March 01, 2015 06:55PM
I finally printed a few of these tabs in Ninjaflex. While not as cosmetically perfect as the PLA (there are stringers on the Ninjaflex parts) they are flexible and slightly grippy. The grip will be nice but the flexibility will be the best aspect. They will save my wrists, elbows and shoulders since they will absorb shock each time I hit them as I push. Plus if I ever run into a hard surface with them I doubt they will break; this stuff is really tough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 07:19PM by Garry Bartsch.

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login