Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I use $65 to make a mini laser cutter

Posted by ownroom000 
I use $65 to make a mini laser cutter
December 08, 2014 01:53PM
Hello, I am Antonio, a college student from China.Here is my site.>>>>>CLICK<<<<<
A long time ago, I saw a mini laser cutter project on kickstarter, I want it very much. But it was too expensive, it needs to $199. That was $199! Although I very want one, but I still give up. Then I thought, it’s really cost $199? How about i made it by myself ,how much money i will cost? So I began to try to make my own mini laser cutter.
]I believe everyone is knew the software part, what’s better than the arduino + GRBL + GRBL controller? So I focused on the hardware part. First is step motor, and I chose the printer stepper motor. Its interval Angle is 7.5 degrees, use with easydriver can obtain higher precision. The important thing is that it only need $1 and u can get it.

I see most of the diy laser cutter using cd-rom screw. It’s too short, generally not more than 100 mm, so I gave up using the cd-rom screw. I found some screw in china shopping website,it’s a 120 mm screw, the price is $2 each, using the plastic slide block.

I use a 2 mm 3 mm coupling cost $1 each.

Transmission part I considered to use the most simple axle sleeve and the plain shaft, but it certainly is not the most perfect choice. Although it is very cheap but I was not able to make the machine stable, so I give up this choice. In the end I chose the plain shaft and linear bearings, although it is very expensive, but can make the machine running stable, why don’t I use these?

Here is my site.>>>>>CLICK<<<<<

My machine use a total of two 6 mm plain shaft, two 4 mm plain shaft, four lm6uu linear bearings, four lm4uu linear bearings, I bought it cost about $12. Then there is circuit part, I use the arduino micro + easydriver + a relay to build the control circuit. Customize the circuit, it cost $15. The last is the laser pointer, I have already bought 250 mw and 100 mw 650 nm red module 405 nm purple module, which is more useful.

I’m curious which is useful more. Two laser total cost my $15. By the way 405 nm laser can be used to make circuit boards, etched circuit. So this machine is not just a toy, it can help you to make circuit, this feature is still in the experimental.Now the most important question is coming, my shell. The material of shell is 6 mm wood, I use the rhino to designed it and it had been send to manufacturers to make it.Here are some picture.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 01:56PM by ownroom000.
Re: I use $65 to make a mini laser cutter
December 08, 2014 03:13PM
So cute and small! I'm also looking into building my own lasercutter. After seeing some of the homemade designs lately, I think I can do this too!

Only thing is, I want to create one that actually can cut wood. The whole problem is that I probably need a CO2 laser to do that, which doesn't come in small packages. They usually use expensive mirrors and lenses to reflect the laser beam through the system onto the cutting material.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
December 08, 2014 04:22PM
... I'm cutting light wood or plywood (white poplar, birch or balsa) with 445nm-diodes with (real) powers of 2Watts and 3.5Watts/4Watts with several passes until 5mm thickness.

But have some high quality birch plywood with watertight glue too, where it cuts only the first sheet, then the glue blocks the laser totally!

CO2 is better for wood in counts of sheer power (+40Watts compared to 4Watts), but the 445nm-diodes have a finer spot, so are more accurate for engraving and much easier in handling and maintenance ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 09, 2014 01:49AM
I also want to do a co2 laser cutter , but it was too dangerous. So I want to do a small machine first, if you want to make the co2 laser cutter,you need to do enough protection work like lasering protective eyeglass. I think you will be successful.Don't forget to share your success
December 09, 2014 01:50AM
Ohmarinus
So cute and small! I'm also looking into building my own lasercutter. After seeing some of the homemade designs lately, I think I can do this too!

Only thing is, I want to create one that actually can cut wood. The whole problem is that I probably need a CO2 laser to do that, which doesn't come in small packages. They usually use expensive mirrors and lenses to reflect the laser beam through the system onto the cutting material.
I also want to do a co2 laser cutter , but it was too dangerous. So I want to do a small machine first, if you want to make the co2 laser cutter,you need to do enough protection work like lasering protective eyeglass. I think you will be successful.Don't forget to share your success
Edit Reply Quote Report
December 09, 2014 02:14AM
VDX
... I'm cutting light wood or plywood (white poplar, birch or balsa) with 445nm-diodes with (real) powers of 2Watts and 3.5Watts/4Watts with several passes until 5mm thickness.

But have some high quality birch plywood with watertight glue too, where it cuts only the first sheet, then the glue blocks the laser totally!

CO2 is better for wood in counts of sheer power (+40Watts compared to 4Watts), but the 445nm-diodes have a finer spot, so are more accurate for engraving and much easier in handling and maintenance ...
Thank you for sharing your experience,I would to choose 445nm laser tube.but there was a problem focus the lens.I give the machine a weak light circuit.
So I can see clearly the size of the light spot,but it still not convenient. I wonder is there any way to automatic focus,it will be cool.
VDX
December 12, 2014 03:34AM
... you can use a common collimating lens, which are used in most complete laser-modules with parallelized beam ... simply unscrew the focussing head to change the focus distance from infinite (parallel beam) to some ten mm distance.

Then test this distance with engraving a square (optimal, when the line width is identical in X and Y), until you get the exact value -- then make a fixed measure to easy set/calibrate the optimal distance for varying part heights ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 12, 2014 11:39AM

December 12, 2014 05:21PM
Awesome! I've been thinking about this also. The downfall is the laser, as far as cost. I'd like to attach a cutting laser to my large delta.

December 13, 2014 06:42AM
I was building a CoreXY printer, but it's currently on hold. I have the fantasy of using all the parts I had bought to turn it into a laser printer for the time being. Having some problems with the Z-stage and am graduating at my school at the moment. I want to use the laser cutter to create some very interesting objects for my graduation project.

Decided to bite the bullet.

I want to buy some good laser diodes. From VDX it's clear to me that 445nm diodes work well for thin wood, I am at the moment mostly interested in cutting cardboard and 'safe to use' plastics. However, for cutting plastics I will have to make an installation in my shed, because I don't want to be around when those fumes are released.

The size of my laser-cutter surface will be around 300x300mm. The frame already exists and the CoreXY-design is already put together. Ramps configured, etc.

Now, I understand these 445nm diodes need to be focussed, the CO2 laser at my academy has autofocus, but the 445nm diodes don't. I don't mind paying a little more bucks for a better laser diode. Which one do you advice me to buy? (with fast shipping please).

I am seeing a lot of those diodes on ebay, but most are from china with incomplete documentation. Furthermore I would like to buy plates to make a casing that protects against the laser's radiation for my eyes. I have a very nosey cat and I can wear glasses, but am sure he won't so don't want to run the risk of him losing his eyesight or something. I will run the machine in a controlled environment, 'but you never know'.

Could anyone give my some hints on how to continue?

Also, I am using a Ramps now, with dedicated controls, SD-card, controller etc for standalone printing. Could it be possible to use this for the lasercutter as well? And is the 12v PSU that I use for 3D-printing also good enough to lasercut? I would expect so as the laser has only a low wattage.

Oh, and does the laserdiode need active cooling?

VDX
December 13, 2014 07:14AM
... I'm mostly using this diodeühousing+lens without modification (only unscrew the lens until the focus is in the wished distance) - [lasertack.com]

Exhausting and filtering the fumes is a must! - the fumes are corrosive and harmfull and will coat surfaces and the lens.

You can box the complete machine and use a web-cam for adjusting and inspection ... I'm using orange coloured acrylic, found in my local toolstore, that is specified to block all light below 500nm -- but you'll better try first with a piece of it and a web-cam ...

Viktor
--------

December 13, 2014 07:50AM
Thanks, I've been looking around a bit, but it's hard to find detailed info.

I've seen some usable items on ebay, including these:
[www.ebay.nl]

or this one:
[www.ebay.nl]

Would they be suitable for use?

On this page are cheaper options listed:

odicforce.com/epages/05c54fb6-7778-4d36-adc0-0098b2af7c4e.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/05c54fb6-7778-4d36-adc0-0098b2af7c4e/Categories/8/20[1]

The german link you supplied is too expensive for me. But I don't mind spending around 75 euros on something that will cut thin wood in several passes.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 12:17PM by Ohmarinus.

VDX
December 13, 2014 09:35AM
... the linked modules are specified for beaming, so the beam-shape is better, but the power is reduced and/or equipped with weaker diodes.

You can start engraving with 0.3 Watts, but ye more, the faster/better/deeper winking smiley

Viktor
--------

December 13, 2014 12:18PM
I see the last link didn't work, you can copy-paste this:
odicforce.com/epages/05c54fb6-7778-4d36-adc0-0098b2af7c4e.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/05c54fb6-7778-4d36-adc0-0098b2af7c4e/Categories/8/20[1]

This one seems to be what I need:
[odicforce.com]

Do you know if this is useful? It's 700mW continuous.

Components to build a 700-1000mW focusing red laser module (12V): Parts List:

Oclaro 700mW+ diode, new stock packed in antistatic bag with datasheet. Rated at 700mW continuous.
Module housing; Standard 5.6mm laser diodes clamp into this housing. Fan cooling for high power operation. Takes standard 9 x 0.5mm Lens (not included), adjustable focus. Ideal for Laser cutter/ engraver projects.
Driver; A 12V driver for high power, continuous use applications. TTL modulation up to 30KHz. Fan support.
Lens; 3 element glass lens with 630-660nm (centre wavelength) anti-reflective coating for 9.0 x 0.5mm threaded laser diode housings.

And would it be wise to order an extra piece of glass?

It has a 12V driver with the package, so all I need to find out is how to drive the laser with Ramps. As I want to use my Ramps for driving the stepper motors and delivering the correct power to the laser.
I expect something like this will work for me:
[hackaday.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 12:30PM by Ohmarinus.

VDX
December 13, 2014 04:46PM
... it's a red module, what's less efficient in terms of energy density and absorbtion in materials than blue.

I recomend to search, until you find a blue 2W-diode in a small housing with attached lens - see here for a common type: [www.ebay.com]

Viktor
--------

December 14, 2014 06:14AM
Thanks, I did not find that link even when looking for those keywords. I have emailed the seller with my questions. Will let you know how it works out smiling smiley

I was looking for information on switching on the power to the leds. Do they wear out quick? I can imagine you need a specific driver that the firmware can turn on and off when you start cutting and end cutting and how does it behave on non-cutting moves? I imagine the power not being on constantly.

VDX
December 14, 2014 03:25PM
... laserdiodes are 'defined' pure by current and temperature - avoid powering them to >90% of the specified power and don't geht them hotter than 25degc, then tey'll 'live' forever winking smiley

My first drivers were simple constant-current-regulators based on LM317 (for max, 1A) or LM338 (max. 2A) or more of them parallel for currents up to 8.5Amps for 9Amp/9Watt-diodes.

The modulation was done with switching the current to the LM-drivers through a MOSFET ...

Viktor
--------

December 15, 2014 09:10AM
Thanks, I'll have to see if the ramps can somehow coordinate the signal for the laser together with the stepper motors.

I've read in other threads that you had over 800 hours of lasering without the diode dying, so it sounds very doable in all smiling smiley
This year I'm graduating on the art academy and would like to have the lasercutter/engraver finished early in January to support my work.

VDX
December 15, 2014 10:36AM
... my 9W-diodes diodes are spezified with 20000 hours at specified power values of 9Watts@9Amps... and they did a test, showing that the same diodes will last >100000 with 'only' 90% of the defined specs winking smiley

Viktor
--------

December 15, 2014 07:22PM
I'm starting to understand it more and more. I will open a topic in the correct subforum to get the exact info I'm still looking for smiling smiley

December 18, 2014 11:18AM
I raise money in china,try to publish a laser cutter kit called T!MBER.Then adjusted the circuit and make pcb, and make a shell for the control circuit.Well, there are ten people buy a T! BMER.I use a potentiometer to adjust the light intensity, so they can easily to focus with out the protective glasses.Here is the shell of control circuit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 11:19AM by ownroom000.
December 26, 2014 04:26AM
are you on taobao?i think i saw this there but lost the link
December 26, 2014 01:06PM
ekaggrat
are you on taobao?i think i saw this there but lost the link
Yeah,i was sales the preview machine on taobao.Good effects as you can see.but i still have a lot of things to improve.r u from china? if u want this machine.i will start a campaign on indiegogo. You can follow my blog,i will update the msg about this mahchine,at last i will open the drawing.its a open source project.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login