Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full size sword project for my nephew

Posted by Rett Mikhal 
Full size sword project for my nephew
April 28, 2015 04:25PM
Hello, fellow jabronis. My nephew commissioned me (for no pay) to make him a sword for his Assassin's Creed Arno cosplay for Anime Boston. He secured a very nice outfit from a cosplay website, but had no weapon. So he gave me a picture of a typical cutlass of the era and asked if I could make it. I decided to use this opportunity as my first project to create a full scale prop with my mini Kossel printer.

It was a challenging project, to say the least, and I thought I'd post it here for your entertainment. Without further ado, here is the journey to create a 3D printed sword...

The reference image for the sword.

Now through the magic of technology, a 3D model is made instantly (it really took several hours in SolidWorks).

The finished model:

My print's bed is 195 cm circular x 220 cm tall, so a model of this size has to be divided up. I made a couple configurations in SolidWorks that deleted bodies so they were all smaller than 200 cm, and then the printing begins...

First thing I had to do was fix my reel, which broke so I had to improvise. The green part in the corner is the broken reel I previously used, which vibrated itself to death.

Printing a blade. This picture is cool because it looks like a future building. The small bit on the left is the support.

Printing the guard.

Printing the handle. I think this one looks like a Viking Longboat. To keep my sanity I imagine what the prints look like with support, like normal people look at clouds and find familiar shapes.

Originally I printed these bodies as halves to save on support removal time, but they warped at the edges making them useless. So I resorted to printing all at once, which meant this:

The prints have to be glued together. To do this I used ABS slurry for the basic assembly followed by some JB Cold Weld for the smaller sections. Note the clever use of junk mail to keep my desk safe.

The complete glued model.

I also 3D printed a bulbasaur, because reasons.

...and a Kaiju.

To seal up the seams and correct the striations, I use a layer of two part synthetic resin. I use XTC-3D.

Once the resin dries in about two hours, it's ready for paint. Here is my nephew showing off the finished prop. I'd prefer a more airbrushed metalic look, but he elected to spray paint it.

I also painted the Bulbasaur and Kaiju and used them as my mascots.

Not sure what my next big project will be.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 04:28PM by Rett Mikhal.

"Pfft. Third dimension... what dimension do we even live in?" - Charlie Kelly
Re: Full size sword project for my nephew
May 16, 2015 12:56PM
Cool work there with that sword but one complaint, it needs to be scaled down and the real thing is not nearly so big. The hand guard is slightly bigger then the hand and the blade should be around 24-36" long.
Don't let my negativity get you down as I am not able to make such a nice looking weapon.
Re: Full size sword project for my nephew
November 04, 2015 08:00PM
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but the youth these days love video games and anime and those two things are infamous for overly large weapons too big to be practical. So that's what he wanted.

Reference: [www.smosh.com]

"Pfft. Third dimension... what dimension do we even live in?" - Charlie Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login