Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Make a 3d printer nozzle on a drill press

Posted by thetazzbot 
Make a 3d printer nozzle on a drill press
August 11, 2015 11:43AM
So I decided that driving to the makerspace to use the lathe was more of a hassle than it was worth. Since I have a drill press I wondered... can I make a nozzle on the drill press?

Yes, you can!

[youtu.be]
Re: Make a 3d printer nozzle on a drill press
August 17, 2015 12:26AM
Nice work!

I bet most here, would be terrified to do/try that.eye popping smileysmileys with beer

Over the years, I've had to make a few small parts on the DP, when the mills and lathes would be tied up in hotter jobs.
From the way you are presenting your files to the workpiece, I'd guess that's not your first DP piece.

Everyone knows that a DP, and Grinders, are the most dangerous tools in the Machine Shop, but you did a good job anyway.
As always, leave as little stock hanging out of the chuck as possible, especially because the DP bearings aren't designed for lateral thrust/pressure.
Too much side pressure, will also loosen the taper and make the chuck go flying off into the Hinterlands.
August 23, 2015 06:44AM
I have tried this way with some of my nozzles and can tell you it not much fun.
The stuff kind of works but requires a porper vice with a center cut to hold the nozzle really tight and really straight.
Once it comes down to the actual printing hole the disater starts as you will need drill bits that have a much thicker shaft - nothing under 0.5mm will stay in a standard chuck.
Biggest problem is the speed and pressure on the drill as the slightest vibration will break the drill bit.
The result of a borken drill bit is usually that the nozlle is a case for the bin.
I found that an engraving tool works quite well for the job in a small drill press - but only after modifying the motor or replacing it with something much smaller.
February 10, 2016 01:08PM
One of the things i really hate is, when my noozle get stucks, dont you hate that.. any way.. i found an amazing guide to solve that problem grinning smiley

i share it right , here!

[3dprinterchat.com]
March 13, 2016 01:45PM
thetazzbot
So I decided that driving to the makerspace to use the lathe was more of a hassle than it was worth. Since I have a drill press I wondered... can I make a nozzle on the drill press?

i ve tried this twice . both on stainless steel . i tried to copy one of my rpp nozzle when i broke one. The one was a 4mm stainless steel bolt and the other was 5mm stainless steel bolt. On the 4mm i started with 0.3mm went on .5 and then 0.7mm. So i got enough deep with those. I still have the bolt undrilled from the other side( the entrance side) . On the 5mm i ended putting it in a lathe . there i did drilled .7 and i did it on the center. The drill press is hard for findign the center. And that is the only dificculty on the drilling. If you find the center and don't push the drill hard for it's size ( it wont drill straight ) then i would say that it is easy.

Of course the first drill took me about 45 min.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login