Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10" f/5.8 Dobsonian telescope

Posted by chriske 
10" f/5.8 Dobsonian telescope
September 13, 2015 04:06AM
Hi,

Fully printed and functional telescope printed in PLA(except for the aluminum poles and the optics of course)

Chris
Re: 10" f/5.8 Dobsonian telescope
September 13, 2015 07:13AM
Very nice! Is there a sock that fits over the tube to prevent people from putting their hands on the mirror? Are the fan there to prevent condensation from forming on the mirror?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 13, 2015 04:12PM
the_digital_dentist
Very nice! Is there a sock that fits over the tube to prevent people from putting their hands on the mirror? Are the fan there to prevent condensation from forming on the mirror?

Nope, there's no protection against 'greasy' hands..;-) There's no need because, except during open door, there's only me and occasional friends observing through that scope. So no worries about the optics..
The 3 green fans are there to cool the(selfmade) primary mirror as fast as possible. The 2 other fans serve as 'boundary layer' remover. These two will also help cool that primary mirror before an observing session starts. I will also use these two upper fans occasionally to remove condensation.
September 13, 2015 10:22PM
Can you use the scope while the fans are running, or do you have to turn them off?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 14, 2015 03:35PM
Wow, that's seriously impressive.
September 14, 2015 04:42PM
the_digital_dentist
Can you use the scope while the fans are running, or do you have to turn them off?

Nope, I turn them off.
Some observers keep them running at a very low rpm.
September 14, 2015 04:49PM
JamesK
Wow, that's seriously impressive.

Thanks..!
But what you don't see is all the work of our electronics guru(Guy), The man on the right side in the picture.
When I drew this project I did not want to see any wiring around the scope. So I drew most of the printed parts with 'canals' in them. iow all electric wiring is tucked away, a nightmare to draw but most of all to assemble.
November 21, 2015 03:11PM
I want to make a 12 o 16 inch dobsonian, but my wife keeps threatening me with a frying pan! This is a great build. How had would it be to scale up?
November 24, 2015 02:21PM
Chris,
That's very impressive, and a great example of a very practical use for a 3D printer.
Anything you can imagine you can make...

Would you mind sharing:
- What printer you used.
- What difficulties you encountered with the printing process.
- What perimeter/infill settings you used for the strength you wanted, how much filament used.
- Do you have a blog?

Thanks,
-Paul
December 07, 2015 07:13AM
I'm impressed! I love Astronomy!
Do you consider sharing your work?
Best regards,
Bobby
December 16, 2015 06:06PM
That is awesome!

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
January 03, 2016 08:14AM
Very very impressive! I have an 8" dob that's all aluminium, this would be a god cost effective upgrade. Is the PLA strong enough along the length of the tube to avoid bowing?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login