Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally!! 288 Square inches of heated bed under control.

Posted by Zzyzxx71 
Finally!! 288 Square inches of heated bed under control.
March 26, 2016 08:56PM
Finally after trying 3 different methods, burning up 2 24 volt power supplies and giving up on using DC/DC SSR's, I've finally got 2 12x12 heated beds working in tandem.

it's not the most elegant solution, but it's good to within 3 degrees of target. Solution is 2 x 12v 360w power supplies feeding 2 x 12x12 makerfarm heated beds, activated by 2 of Makerfarms heated bed relays.

I had to change the Heat_Bed_Management value to 2 (bang bang with a 5000 millisecond delay). D8 activates both relays. The glass bed is (slightly smaller than) a 24x12 3/16" tempered glass, which apparently has the side effect of "balancing" the heat between the beds. The thermistor is in the center of only 1 of the beds.

In retrospect, I'd probably use a pair of the Power Expanders from Reprap.me, I might upgrade to those at a later date, but I have another printer using the Makerfarm relay, and it's been working for more than a year.

Now that that's done, just have some small adjustments to the heated bed mounting hardware (to make bed leveling easier), and it should be ready to print!
Re: Finally!! 288 Square inches of heated bed under control.
March 28, 2016 05:24PM
Nice work man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login