Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D Titan Extruder model

E3D Titan Extruder model
April 30, 2016 03:38PM
I recently received a Titan. After a thorough search of the web, including E3D's web site, I came to the conclusion that no one has made a model of this thing yet. So I did.
You can get it here: [www.youmagine.com]

I used DesignSpark Mechanical to make the model and recommend you give it a try. It's very easy to learn and use and produces high quality STL files for 3D printing.

C'mon E3D, how are people supposed to use your stuff without models to design mounting brackets and check clearances in their printers?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: E3D Titan Extruder model
May 01, 2016 01:53PM
the_digital_dentist
C'mon E3D, how are people supposed to use your stuff without models to design mounting brackets and check clearances in their printers?

+1

dd i think they're relying on you and others to do the work {insert suitable wry smiley here}. thanks for making that model - i'm recommending the titan to people in the fusebox forum so it would be great for them to have a CAD model to check it out before buying. thanks!
May 09, 2016 07:05PM
Nice! these should come in handy... Whats your opinion so far on the Titan?
May 09, 2016 08:34PM
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, still in the box...

May 13, 2016 01:11PM
Thank you very much digital_dentist.I have bought it recently and was looking for the model to make changes to my X carriage.
May 13, 2016 02:33PM
I've been trying to design this extruder into a printer and its one real deficiency is the lack of an easy, rigid way to mount it. It doesn't come with a bracket and they put a printable design on thingiverse, but a printed bracket isn't going to be nearly as rigid as something they could have incorporated directly into the design. I don't know why they didn't include mounting feet in the design- maybe they couldn't make a mold if it included feet. However you do it, the bracket has to go between the motor and the extruder parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 02:35PM by the_digital_dentist.

May 13, 2016 04:18PM
You could fit a mounting bracket to the back of the motor instead. That's what I did when I wanted to mount an extruder drive designed for an Ormerod on my Kossel.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 13, 2016 04:55PM
The motor I have in front of me has screws that hold it together inserted from the back. You can't reverse the screws because only the front plate is threaded. How did you attach the mount to the back side of the motor? Maybe some motors are assembled differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 04:55PM by the_digital_dentist.

May 13, 2016 05:09PM
You certainly can remove screws from the rear of a stepper motor and replace them by longer ones that go through a bracket first. RepRapPro did this in some of their kits, and I have done it too. I published a design for a mounting plate to fit the back of a motor to an extrusion at [www.thingiverse.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 13, 2016 06:17PM
This is what I came up with for a coreXY extruder carriage, It uses a piece of 2" square aluminum tubing with 1/8" thick walls that will be screwed directly to the bearing block of the X axis. I left in some of the "extra" material to use for cable management and mounting a print cooling fan. Once I figure that stuff out some of the extra metal will be carved away.

May 24, 2016 04:19PM
After watching Tom's review about Titan I've had an idea on how to mount Titan on my current setup:

I've modified the adaptor seen on the video by Tom so that it has a hole on its base for my hotend and it supports the stepper motor. I haven't mounted it yet but will do so in a few days. I think that should work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login