Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting new printer dialled in

Posted by deckingman 
Getting new printer dialled in
October 16, 2016 08:14AM
Here are some pics.

It's not my design. It's this [www.thingiverse.com]. I used Slic3r to scale it up overall by 200% then scaled the height about another 25%. Height is about 320mm, and it fits in a cylinder about 220mm diameter. Sliced at 0.3mm layer height, 0.5mm nozzle, 3 bottom layers, 4 perimeters, no infill or top layers. Translucent PLA, Red, Yellow and "Clear" (well "natural" anyway). Diamond hot end. Cold bed, blue tape. No print cooling. Perimeter speed 80mm/s, outside perimeters 75%. Total print time around 17 hrs.
Re: Getting new printer dialled in
October 16, 2016 08:49AM
Nice! I often print that vase when my printer is on public display- people really seem to like it. At the Milwaukee Maker Faire I was printing them using fluorescent green TPU filament. When the print finishes, I take if off the bed handling it very carefully as if it were very fragile, then I crumple it up and toss it to someone who is watching and it pops back into shape. I even have a single walled copy that I hand to people and tell them to try as hard as they can to break/tear it. No one has been able to do it yet. I've had 300 lb guys try until they are red in the face.

I figured out the z axis scaling trick shortly after my first print of that file. Stretching it in the Z axis reduces the overhang angle and the prints come out clean even where the overhangs get steepest. I usually stretch it 30%...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 16, 2016 04:01PM
Wow, smooth like satin, would be nice if that colour grad was more like flames.
October 16, 2016 04:43PM
MechaBits
Wow, smooth like satin, would be nice if that colour grad was more like flames.

Yes, that was the effect I was aiming for but it didn't quite work out. May have to try a different approach.
October 17, 2016 03:11PM
Some turbulence some how coded in/ through the part or the normal map or 3d falloff? used for the colour mix, wonder if you meshmixed 2 vases with different colour distribution?
October 17, 2016 04:20PM
I have some ideas along those lines. It'll probably be easier to visualise the final result if I generate separate stl's then combine them into a single object in Slic3r although I quite like the idea of introducing some "randomness". Lots to play around with............
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login