Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modifications to my printer

Modifications to my printer
October 16, 2016 11:25PM
I did two modifications today. I replaced the printed ABS X axis belt tensioner with one made from aluminum. The ABS part was distorting due to belt tension and heat so I finally got around to a redesign using 1.5 x 2" rectangular aluminum tubing. In all it took less time to fabricate the part from aluminum than it took to print the part I've been using.

At the Milwaukee Maker Faire a few weeks ago a lot of people really liked the single walled vases I was printing with fluorescent green TPU filament. I decided to add a UV light bar to the machine for occasions when it is on display and printing fluorescent filament:

It's a Nanoxia 20 cm UV LED bar from amazon,com. It shipped in a clear plastic tube, so I decided to use it to protect the LED bar. I printed clips to hold the light bar inside the plastic tube, and then printed two more clips to hold the tube to the printer's 8020 frame. When I was ordering the LED bar I also ordered a 6-pack of buck converters that convert 24V to 12V. I connected one of the converters to the LED bar (it fit inside the plastic tube!) and wired it into my printer (Son of Megamax).

Here's a vase printing with a fluorescent green PLA filament sample from Coex3D that I picked up at the Maker Faire.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Modifications to my printer
October 20, 2016 12:41PM
DANG, that blacklight looks awesome, your printer will steal the show next time its on display for sure!
October 20, 2016 06:53PM
That will be next Wednesday...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 20, 2016 07:09PM
The acid test is can you print teeth that match real teeth under UV light.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login