Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tripteron Implementation

Posted by Apsu 
Re: Tripteron Implementation
September 07, 2019 07:55AM
I've decided to put this thread on hold. It's too large and I'm really the only one posting now. I have run into some patent licensing roadblocks (they want a company to license to with a business plan and sales forecasts to determine royalties, etc), as well.

If I develop this idea or specific design further, I will post something new, but for right now I don't have a lot of new things to say. You can find me in the usual places as Apsu or Apsuity if you want to follow up on building one of these.
September 07, 2019 09:12AM
They might be amenable to a free noncommercial creative commons license. At least they should be. It preserves the ability for them to dual license it for money and it makes them look good.

That said it is easy for them to say no because it would require lawyers to do work and it is not risk free. If you have some contacts, I can get the inventor to put pressure on the licensing department to play ball. Last time I talked with him, he had talked to them but they wouldnt talk back. (Asking for a noncommercial licensing agreement is one of those things that require work so they probably ghosted him but it might not have been intentional.) Now that you have a dialog, we could potentially insert him into the conversation.

If you want to make money then the royalties will make it annoying at best. You are free to jump to a Sextupteron/Hexapteron if you want. AFAIK no one has patented it and I am the inventor with clear prior art. With people starting to embrace the idea of non planar printing...there is a potential value add here if you want to make printers for money.

Good luck!

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
September 07, 2019 09:17AM
Thanks Nicholas, I appreciate your input. I did pursue the non-commercial aspect and even talked about acquiring the patent, and they informed me that they value it for its commercial and research potential, and are only willing to license for commercial use. I also met someone who worked on a *pteron industrial machine, so they have had some large commercial licensees in the past, which makes it all the more likely they're not willing to do a non-commercial. Any way you slice it, the patent expires in 2022, so maybe we just need to wait it out tongue sticking out smiley

But I do take your point about the 6-DOF model, and I appreciate how you've kept it in the open. Ideally I'd love to be able to end up with a unique design that could become a business, but it's not my primary goal.
September 07, 2019 09:49AM
2022 is soon. Patents don't prevent your own building adventures. You can also document your work as long as you aren't monetizing it. I think a disclaimer is more than enough in the name of the law. They wont sue anyone unless they actually sale a tripteron.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
September 15, 2019 09:47AM
@Apsu please don't be disappointed about low participation. Like me I am sure several people are reading your thread with interest and wish you good luck implementing a good printer.

I would be interested in a category here in the forum to list all patents and when they expire. We could also collect prior art examples in this area.
September 28, 2019 07:56PM
Hi Apsu (and everybody else),

I've registered an account only to make you sure your work is still closely looked at.
It was exciting to read every post in one go, and I'm now like a kid in a candy shop.

Thank you for all you have done and for what is coming!

Owns a µDelta Rework from eMotion Tech. Runs a Mimaki 3DUJ-553.
October 03, 2019 03:35PM
Pougnagna
Hi Apsu (and everybody else),

I've registered an account only to make you sure your work is still closely looked at.
It was exciting to read every post in one go, and I'm now like a kid in a candy shop.

Thank you for all you have done and for what is coming!

Hey there, sorry for the delayed response.

I appreciate the feedback and sentiment! The project has been a lot of fun, but for the time being given the patent situation, I'm focusing on my DiffBot and maybe Inverted Delta projects for now. I made a thread for DiffBot here if you'd like to take a look.
December 22, 2019 04:31AM
Someone got inspired [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2019 04:38AM by MechaBits.
May 24, 2020 12:42PM
Thread necromancy! I have rebuilt @Apsu s Tripteron prototype and intend to implement the kinematics in RepRap Firmware. It'll be a while, maybe the patent expired until then (-:
March 02, 2021 10:24PM
Just finished reading through this whole thread. I believe that the arm joints would be easiest to make as a compliant hinge out of the material that was used for this KS:

[www.kickstarter.com]

It is a project I backed, but just before it could be delivered the creator came down with cancer and never completed the last bits and shipped the project to the supporters.
The hinge concept was great though and I think it would make the Tripteron or Deltron practical.
Perhaps a 50cm wide arm with a stiffener attached to it.

I looked into getting some of the sandwich material, but not in my budget to get it from Europe and play with it.

I hope you can find your way back to getting the Triptrons built again.
March 21, 2021 12:05PM
a cool example Single rail, [www.youtube.com]
January 26, 2022 07:57PM
Shame. It's actually a bit of an interesting design.

When do you think you're going to resume discussion on this one...and where?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login