Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimaker bowden tube replacement to direct drive

Posted by Rod 
Rod
Ultimaker bowden tube replacement to direct drive
May 01, 2017 08:03AM
Hi All
Having owned an ultimaker 2 for over 2 years now and suffered numerous problems with the bowden feeder setup i decided to try to fix the problem for once and all by replacing the bowden
setup to direct drive to the printhead .Since fitting the new direct drive shaft system about six months ago i have not had any of problems i had with the bowden tube feeder setup.also the new setup
allows me to print 1.75 dia Ningaflex flexable filliment as easily as any other filliment.Ihave added a few attachments for you to view and to comment.
Regards
Rod.
Re: Ultimaker bowden tube replacement to direct drive
May 01, 2017 08:28AM
Rod
May 01, 2017 10:28AM
Hi
Cant attach pictures saying files to large ? These are single i phone photoes.
Rod.
Rod
May 08, 2017 10:41AM
Hi
youtube vidio
[youtu.be]
Regards Rod.
May 09, 2017 07:48AM
interessting setup, there where a couple of guy`s having this idea already, how have you solved the issue with the sliding force when extruding and moving the axis the same time ?
some pictures would be really interessting smiling smiley

Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
Rod
May 09, 2017 03:28PM
Hi Chri
I have tried to post pictures before taken with my i phone but keeps telling me the attachment files are to large.Thats why i posted a link to youtube
Could you tell me what i need to do to be able to post pictures.I can then post some more detailed ones for you all to see.
Regards.
Rod.
May 09, 2017 03:41PM
Rod
Hi Chri
I have tried to post pictures before taken with my i phone but keeps telling me the attachment files are to large.Thats why i posted a link to youtube
Could you tell me what i need to do to be able to post pictures.I can then post some more detailed ones for you all to see.
Regards.
Rod.

you have to resize the pictures before uploading, maximum filesize is 614 kb per picture

Chri

Rod
May 10, 2017 04:01PM
HI Chri Thanks for the info about resizing the pictures.
The two drive heads have 4 off 8x4x3 ball bearings running on 4mm square shafts witch are fully ajustable via grub screws.
By using the above setup have had no problems with sliding force when extruding and moving at the same time.
Rod
Attachments:
open | download - 002.jpg (561.4 KB)
open | download - 003.jpg (559.5 KB)
open | download - 001.jpg (525.6 KB)
open | download - 009.jpg (423.6 KB)
open | download - 005.jpg (589.2 KB)
open | download - 006.jpg (601.3 KB)
open | download - 007.jpg (506.5 KB)
open | download - 008.jpg (366.7 KB)
May 12, 2017 11:16AM
I just built a setup to use a Bowden extruder for flexible filament. So far it has done well.

[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 11:18AM by cwaa.
Rod
May 12, 2017 01:20PM
Hi cwaa
Glad to see you are happy with your bowden tube setup.I would never again revert to bowden feeder as trying to push 3mm or 1.75 filliment through a 720mm tube with no problems for sometimes hours on end are very rare also you get problems with retractions due to flexinging in the tube ect.Knowing what i no now i would
not have bought a bowden feed printer in the first place.I have just ptinted an i phone case in 1.75 Ningaflex no problems with my direct drive.
Rod
Attachments:
open | download - 002.jpg (305.4 KB)
May 16, 2017 05:32PM
This is a really interesting set up. How light is it though? The weight of all the moving parts will need to weigh less then a simple direct drive extruder (e.g. titan and pancake stepper)
Rod
May 17, 2017 04:30AM
Hi.
The extruder setup 43 grms total.
Rod.
May 17, 2017 05:44AM
Rod
Hi.
The extruder setup 43 grms total.
Rod.

you also have to take incount of all additional gearing that is on the X axis like, additional plastic parts, the bevel gears, the suqare rod, and on.

Chri

Rod
May 17, 2017 09:06AM
Hi Total weight of parts.(attachment) 153grms total
Rod.
Attachments:
open | download - Total weight 001.jpg (288.8 KB)
May 17, 2017 11:31AM
Rod
Hi Total weight of parts.(attachment) 153grms total
Rod.

I believe the combined weight of a titan and a pancake is actually 150 grams, so perhaps lightweight direct drive extruders are the way forward? The only benefit your system gives is being able to use a more powerful motor although it has to be said I've seen so few problems with my pancake stepper that I'm actually looking into using it with an even lighter nema 14
Rod
May 17, 2017 02:31PM
Hi.
At the moment i am working on mk3 direct drive system by replacing the square steel rod 34grms with carbon fibre square tube of the same dim 4grms total a saving of
30 grms can be had.Also removing inner material from the two side plates will save more weight.A total weight of around 100grms should obtainable with a few mods.
Rod
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login