Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SaturnV

Posted by chriske 
SaturnV
August 09, 2019 08:05AM
Hey guys,

This SaturnV rocket took me less then 48 hours to print.
Standard printer(own design - see earlier thread - Ultiprinter).
PLA - nozzle 1.5mm - layers 1.2mm - Speed 45mm/s - temp 245°C - About 90% is printed in SpiralVase modus.
Height of that thing is 1.98 meter - 3.2 kg.

I actually printed four of these rockets.
Busy painting and lettering that thing.
Attachments:
open | download - saturn.jpeg (78.4 KB)
VDX
Re: SaturnV
August 09, 2019 09:36AM
... looks good! - now show it painted smileys with beer

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 09, 2019 10:06AM
Stored in my van. (No more room in my workshop). The fourth rocket is not done yet. There's no more time left to do that last one before open door at our observatory. It will serve as is: pristine white.
I have some other (printed) project that needs finishing before open door starts. (A Kutter binoscope)

Anyway just added a few decals. Next week I'll add the large 'USA' lettering.
Attachments:
open | download - saturn-painted3.jpeg (455.2 KB)
August 09, 2019 11:14AM
a few decals...
Attachments:
open | download - saturn-painted4.jpeg (694.2 KB)
open | download - saturn-painted5.jpeg (425.1 KB)
open | download - saturn-painted6.jpeg (224.6 KB)
August 09, 2019 11:47AM
Great print!

PLA? Stored in your van? Good luck with that!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 09, 2019 12:28PM
It's a few years now I do work with PLA. I know how far I can go.
In the past I've done some thorough tests with PLA in the sun unprotected During that test we had temp. up to 38°C during summer..!
It were a few very thin hollow rings 150mm diameter I was testing. I added 1 kg of weight at the base of these rings.
All these rings had different colors. After 8(eight) months in the spring/summer-autumn-sun the white ring was deformed by only 1(!)mm. All the other rings(not all PLA!!) were deformed very much by that 1kg weight under the sun. The black ring was deformed so much it was twice as high as it was wide. So in fact the white PLA was the only ring that survived my test..! I've tested also nGen, ABS, and one other I can't remember the name of. All did deform in the heat of the sun.

I took some pictures of these rings, I'll post them if you want me to.
I have lots of white colored PLA parts in our garden(and no, not in the shade), no problem there, not one item deformed so far. That is btw the reason why I print outside-parts always pristine white. You should try it some day...winking smiley
August 09, 2019 04:38PM
What did you use for the decals?
August 09, 2019 05:06PM
Made them myself Frank,

Copied them from the internet, printed and use double sided adhesive paper. Very strong stuff. Lots of cutting involved...
I did use decals for the one already present in the picture because a background is ok here. I need to make some more, very small, decals. And there are also some very small, but I'm going to ignore these. They're way to small.
But for the big letters 'USA' and 'United states' I'll buy letters that will be cut from foil. I need just the letters without 'background'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 05:12PM by chriske.
VDX
August 09, 2019 05:32PM
... you can use laminators to coat the top-surface only for more stable printed parts ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 14, 2020 03:05AM
Busy building a bigger printer to print even larger SaturnV rockets.
Next rocket will be almost 4 meter high. Crawler included..
To do that I need one of these...
I'll probably be using a 2.5mm nozzle for this task. The one on the far right is a 'standard'(commercial) 0.4mm nozzle.
Attachments:
open | download - nozzles.jpeg (139.5 KB)
July 15, 2020 02:50PM
chriske
Busy building a bigger printer to print even larger SaturnV rockets.
Next rocket will be almost 4 meter high. Crawler included..
To do that I need one of these...
I'll probably be using a 2.5mm nozzle for this task. The one on the far right is a 'standard'(commercial) 0.4mm nozzle.

I have serious worries about putting 2.85/3mm filament through a 2.5mm nozzle. How do you maintain pressure? I think the way to go would be to have an extruder that can either print directly from granulate or maybe making some DIY filament? You need to have a certain amount of pressure buildup in the nozzle, also to retract. Besides that, your extruder would have to move crazy fast. What are your plans regarding extrusion?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 17, 2020 03:47AM
Your rockets are really impressive. Do you plan to join the Mars race? cool smiley

I didn't know that 2.5 mm nozzles exist, how far is the speed from injection molding?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login