Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Working on a new timelapse method

Working on a new timelapse method
April 23, 2020 12:49AM
First test- some bugs, but give me a day or two and they'll be dead, I think.
The extruder should be at the back of the printer in each frame.

https://vimeo.com/410890331

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Working on a new timelapse method
April 23, 2020 03:11PM
I killed the bugs...

https://vimeo.com/411089984

The final result:

[vimeo.com]

More: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2020 11:40PM by the_digital_dentist.

April 24, 2020 03:55AM
Looks great

But how much print time did it add with the unneeded, for printing, head moves?
April 24, 2020 08:00AM
It adds about 4-5 seconds per layer. In a 100 mm tall print that is 500 layers tall, it will add about 42 minutes. For small prints the extra motion represents a relatively large portion of total print time. But for larger prints where each layer might take a few minutes to complete, a few extra seconds per layer is hardly noticeable.

If you're in a rush, you can always just use an intervalometer to make a timelapse movie (Open Camera can do that), but the nature of the video you end up with is completely different.

In my printer, the bed moves down as the print progresses, and I use lift on retract. When I make a time lapse movie of a print using an intervalometer, some of the images are captured during the lift on retract, so the bed bounces up and down throughout the video as the extruder also bounces around in the picture.

If you use the layer synchronized technique I have set up, you never see the bed bouncing up and down and the extruder appears stationary. The only things that move in the video are the smoothly dropping bed and the slowly growing print. You can speed up the process a little by only moving one axis to trigger the camera, but the final video will then have the extruder moving around as the bed slowly drops and the print grows.

It's not for everyone or every print.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 08:45AM by the_digital_dentist.

May 29, 2020 03:34PM
That looks awesome. Ive always wanted to try time lapsing when Im using my 3d printer. My new 3d printer will arrive next week. I will definitely time lapse my first time printing on the new printer. If youre looking to get an upgrade on your 3d printer, I recommend you visit this website.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login