Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A functional PET-G waste paper bin printed in under 2 hrs

Posted by deckingman 
A functional PET-G waste paper bin printed in under 2 hrs
November 23, 2021 09:47AM
Following on from my other post about exploring volumetric flow rates with my 6 input multi-material hot end (https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?2,887063), I decided to use up some more of this 6 year old PET-G and make something mildly useful. It's a functional waste paper bin printed in under 2 hours which serves to illustrate that 3D prints can grow faster than mushrooms. smiling smiley

Link here - [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 09:47AM by deckingman.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Re: A functional PET-G waste paper bin printed in under 2 hrs
November 23, 2021 10:24AM
Interesting filament. Am I seeing bubbles or is that some special additive in the filament to make it look that way? Is that a mix of different filaments or is the color shift a property of a single filament?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 23, 2021 11:55AM
the_digital_dentist
Interesting filament. Am I seeing bubbles or is that some special additive in the filament to make it look that way? Is that a mix of different filaments or is the color shift a property of a single filament?

You obviously haven't been keeping up with my other videos - but I forgive you smiling smiley It's PET-G that's about 6 years old and which has absorbed a fair amount of moisture. So yes, you are seeing bubbles - I can hear it popping and fizzing as the hot end heats prior to printing. It matters not whether I print really slowly or if I use a higher/lower temperature. As for the colour shift, I thought you'd have realised that it's 6 filaments being fed into a 6 in 1 out hot end (you can see the six different filaments being unwound from the 6 reels and there are shots of DWC showing the 6 extruder positions updating). In true "mixing " hot end fashion, the filaments are combined rather than mixed. Hence the output from the nozzle is akin to stripey toothpaste and so the colour of the final object varies depending on the viewing angle.

It does mean that if the bin doesn't match the decor of the room it is in, one can simply rotate it until it does smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]
November 23, 2021 12:03PM
BTW, that's how the high melt rate is achieved. Effectively there are 6 parallel melt chambers which "pre-heat" the filament before they reach the nozzle block. Not only does that give a vastly increased surface area, but also for a given flow rate from the nozzle, each of the 6 filaments contributes one 6th. So effectively it takes 6 times longer for each individual filament to pass through its respective melt chamber. Look out for the next video which is of the same object being printed with PLA - then you'll see insane melt rates.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 12:04PM by deckingman.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login