Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tool for sanding disc brake pads

Tool for sanding disc brake pads
May 14, 2023 04:12PM
My bike has belt drive and a continuously variable transmission. It's been extremely reliable, except that it also has hydraulic disc brakes. Those have been not so reliable. In fact, those brakes alone have required more maintenance than any whole bike I've ever owned.

The biggest problem with disc brakes is that they squeal a lot. When they squeal, they don't stop the bike very well. Fixing them usually requires sanding the pads, but they are small and thin and hard to hold onto so sanding them usually ends up sanding the skin off my fingers, too. I decided to solve that problem. I made a tool to hold the brake pads. It took all of 10 minutes to design it and about an hour to print it.

More here: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Tool for sanding disc brake pads
May 19, 2023 01:43PM
Interesting. You just gave me some ideas for non critical machining jigs (milling), and light cuts that won't produce too much heat...
Been amazed by 3D printing repeatability after using metrology instruments and seeing it with my own eyes. I've also seen professionals using 3D printed patterns for metal sheet folding. Never thought it could be usefull at removing material...
Another tool in the toolbox.

[EDIT] knowing how to make jigs makes the difference between the skilled professional and the amateur. Jigs are often much more difficult to make than the final part. 1 or 10000 parts, the problem is the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2023 01:48PM by yet-another-average-joe.
Re: Tool for sanding disc brake pads
March 24, 2024 08:33AM
I eventually came to realize that my squealing brakes problem was due to fluid leaks that had developed. I hunted for replacement seal kits for the brakes and couldn't find any, so I bought some Shimano OEM brakes that were already assembled. I just bolted them on the bike, cleaned the rotors with IPA, and it's working like new again.

If you have disc brakes that squeal, they're probably leaking!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login