Advanced

forum for JHB, SA

Posted by BalanceSeeker 
forum for JHB, SA
January 25, 2010 09:28AM
Hi,

I am Marius Botha.
Email: moveaftermove@yahoo.com

Would you please create a forum for Johannesburg, South Africa.

Thankyou
Re: forum for JHB, SA
January 26, 2010 12:46AM
Done. Welcome to the forum!

Also, you may want to look into one of the Fab Labs in SA.

(Note: 2009 January, 26 - check wikipedia for new fab labs)
[en.wikipedia.org]

* Ghana, Sekondi-Takoradi : in the Takoradi Technical Institute
* South Africa, Bloemfontein : Central University of Technology
* South Africa, Cape Town : Cape Craft and Design Institute
* South Africa, Kimberly : Northern Cape Higher Education Institute
* South Africa, Potchefstroom : North West University
* South Africa, Soshanguve : in the BMW community center, run by the Bright Youth Council and sponsored by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
* Kenya, Nyanza : in Majiwa, Bondo District. Run by ARO Fablab sponsored by ARCKenya, ARC-Aid and Norad Norway
* Kenya, Nairobi : in the University of Nairobi, run by the School of Engineering

Lastly, I've created a dedicated Africa RUG, because it may come in handy. Also, this RUG is buried in a dedicated Africa folder, but that is not an insult, I need to clean up all the RUGs into folders so that they are easier to find.

Post-lastly, good luck, and have fun Reprapping!grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 09, 2010 06:12AM
Hello,

please view my blog [mariushermanbotha.wordpress.com]
I will update as time progresses.
You are welcome to leave comments, ideas, critiques etc.

Regards
Marius Botha
Pretoria, South Africa
HI Guys

I,m another new Repraper here in Jhb S Africa and am just getting started
would like to make contact with guys who are getting to grips with the problems of acquiring all the necessary hardware and electronics in the South African environent

Found Marius's blog most informative

will keep an eye on this sight

regards

Martin
May 24, 2010 08:01AM
@Martin,

you are most welcome! If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to assist, wherever I can.

Cheers
Marius
June 14, 2010 07:06AM
Hi guys,

I've got a South African company assembling some electronics for me. The company is run by my father and he has 35+ years of experience in electronics design. They usually make insrumentation and other products, but I convinced him to start making reprap electronics (gen3 at the moment). If anyone is interested in get electronics from a South African in South Africa (no more extreme overseas postal costs and problems!!) send me a pm. Spread the word...

My company, iPrint3D, is currently supplying the European market with electronics (www.iprint3d.org) and expect the same sort of prices as you see there.

Kind regards,
Matthew
July 20, 2010 03:17AM
Hey guys

I discovered RepRap yesterday, and I really want to start building my own.

@BalanceSeeker: Where did you get hold of the parts to build the frame.. I want to start by making them out of wood, but I need proper pics of the parts.

@Matthew: Will get in touch once I've built the frame to source some electronics.

Good Luck everyone, keep us posted with your RepRaps!
July 20, 2010 05:16AM
@MarcelN,

if you are going to build the mendel RP parts from wood, I would recommend you speak to a user that frequents the main forum, called Triffid_Hunter. Now, he has no idea who I am, nor does he know that I referenced you to him, so please introduce yourself, and state clearly what your intentions are, either in the open forum, or if you prefer, in a PM to him.

His blog is the following:
[wooden-mendel.blogspot.com]

I would start with that....since it is my rudimentary understanding, that a wooden-mendel has its own particular challenges.
Let us know how things go.

Cheers
Marius
July 20, 2010 07:36AM
Thanks BalanceSeeker....

Anyone in SA selling the parts needed for the Mendel?
Thinking of buying the parts and assembling it myself... after that I can make some improvements and/or more mendels.
July 20, 2010 08:43AM
BalanceSeeker, try http://reprap.org/wiki/WolfStrap-English which is optimized to be made out of wood.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
July 20, 2010 09:31AM
@Sebastien thankyou

@MarcelN,
yes, Sebastien is right. You should consider the WolfStrap, which is the latest popular/workable incarnation of the RepStrap. In case you do not know, the RepStrap/WolfStrap is the route to "bootstrap" the RP parts for a workable 3d printer such as mendel.
From what I gather, the WolfStrap for all intents and purposes is a fully functional 3d printer in its own right, complete with mendel electronics and motors. It is also a much cheaper route to getting the 100+ mendel parts, by printing them yourself.

The alternative route, is to buy the mendel set off ebay. If you really insist, I can supply local commercial (read expensive) 3d printing suppliers which will literally be 3x more expensive than the ebay option. Your choice.

Could I ask you what your background and experience is in constructing a machine like the mendel?
Forgive my curiosity spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Regards
Marius
August 16, 2010 04:51AM
Hello to all,

please find latest update of Mendel progress on my blog:

[mariushermanbotha.wordpress.com]

Feel free to contact me, in this regard.
Marius Botha,
Pretoria, South Africa
September 11, 2010 03:33PM
Hello,

I have posted some thoughts on camera-in-the-loop control for RepRap, on my blog.
[mariushermanbotha.wordpress.com]

As always, your input and suggestions as welcome.
Marius Botha,
Pretoria, South Africa
November 14, 2010 04:04PM
I'm from Port Elizabeth, South Africa

My RepRap is busy taking shape and has printed its first usable parts already.
Although I still have a way to go in terms of refining and tweaking the settings.

Check out my blog over here:
[reprapsouthafrica.blogspot.com]
February 15, 2011 08:42AM
Hey
I have been looking at building a Reprap but I am a bit overwhelmed as to where to begin. Would appreciate some help. Who do I contact for parts. If one of you guys that have build one already can contact me i would be really grateful.
February 20, 2011 07:32PM
Hi

I would love to start on a mendel prusa and don't know where to start looking for parts locally.
Iprint3D.org seems to be mostly sold out of everything, so no luck there.

Anyone know where to look?
s
JPP
May 16, 2011 09:02AM
Hi

I am looking into buying a complete reprap kit to assemble, have any of you compared the Techzone kit with the kit from Mendel (http://www.mendel-parts.com/index.php/catalog/complete-kits.html) the mendel kit seems to be far cheaper?
Any comment would be highly appreciated.

J
August 16, 2011 08:33AM
My name is Dinesh Munthry.I am interested in setting up a reprap machine.Please contact me.My cell no. is 031 5772499 or 0836570298
September 16, 2011 12:14PM
Hey guys. So glad I found this, although it seems a bit quiet.

My name is Bernhard. I run a company called CAD House. We import 3d Printer kits.

Currently we bring in RapMan and Botmill kits. Since starting to import these kits less than 6 months ago, we've probably placed more than 150 machines in South Africa. Whats amazing is that this time last year there were probably only about this many RP machines in South Africa. We've probably stepped on many toes while doing this because people that would have ordinarily bought some high end machines (we do these also) are settling for RapMans and BFB's instead.

We're looking into more options. Maybe some feedback here concerning which machines you guys would like to see coming to South Africa, with added local support. Please specify pros and cons.

We're also looking at alternate material suppliers. I agree paying R750/kg for what is merely plastic extruded into 3mm filament is alot, but at the moment we have no choice. Im looking at the Chinese to solve this issue. We'll be able to import between 200 - 500kgs at a time - the demand is this high. Could probably find a solution for 1/10th what we sell for now.

Our web adress
www.3d-printer.co.za
September 16, 2011 12:22PM
Oh yes, before I forget. I started a small community forum, because nobody else would.

www.3d-printer.co.za/yabb

It would be great if we can get this going. Currently only about 40 users
January 28, 2012 09:49AM
I am not from Joburg but Pretoria is close enough.

Importing all the parts looks extremely expensive. I am looking to build the Prusa Mendel but all the parts are hard to get.
Getting all the parts on ebay would cost $40 and the wade extruder hot end with rod around $50.

What should I import and what should I get locally?

Would any of you be willing (for a price) to print the main parts for a Prusa Mendel?
February 14, 2012 10:31AM
A

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 05:08AM by twinklesam.
February 14, 2012 10:46AM
Sorry double posted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 10:47AM by twinklesam.
March 15, 2012 04:01PM
Hi

I am starting to build a Mendel and would like to complete this project by the end of April. I am studying Engineering (Mechanical) at Tuks (third year).

Have not done much building, still busy getting all the things together, ordering stepper motors etc. I am building by DIY and guidelines from Wiki.

Is there anyone from Pretoria who has a working Reprap?
Does anyone have a source for the fillament for less than R750/kg?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 04:03PM by Needbot.
June 30, 2012 05:08PM
I will have filament for sale in less than two weeks, 3mm PLA and ABS. Blue, black, white, red. R400/kg in 2.3 kg rolls for PLA and 2kg rolls for ABS. Next month I will also have 5 full Prusa Mendel V2 kits for sale price not confirmed as yet. I am in Cape Town but will obviously send country wide at extra cost. PM me if your interested.
August 13, 2012 07:53AM
anybody willing to print Reprap Parts for my project?
please contact me
August 13, 2012 01:49PM
Hi MAC91

I am willing to print parts, send me an email so we can talk.
August 27, 2012 06:29PM
Hi,

Anyone willing to print some parts for me? I am based in durban though...

contact me @ karl at camilleri dot za dot net

Many Thanks,
Karl
October 03, 2012 04:41AM
Hi all.
I am from Cape Town.
I am looking for someone to print the parts for a Prusa Mendel.
Is there someone that can help me out?
Price?

Thank you.
January 09, 2013 12:33PM
Hi Guys!

What an awesome initiative is this site!? I am very keen on building a mendal, but don't realy know where to start. Anyone willing to help me with some advice? Anyone willing to help me print some parts aswell? I pay very good spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login