Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacing the Z axis belt with printable linkage

Posted by MrJohn 
Replacing the Z axis belt with printable linkage
February 07, 2011 05:05PM
I've been brainstorming the requirements for the contest and I think we could reduce non-rep parts with printed linkage. The first thing that came to mind was the belt for the z axis. I think it could be replaced by a mechianial linkage and cog, like a train's wheel. Could someone that already has a reprap start playing with this concept? Thoughts? Ideas?

I also have an idea to replace some of the threaded rods with printed braces but I'll post that in another topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 05:09PM by MrJohn.

-John, San Diego, CA

www.youtube.com/user/GeoDroidJohn

MrJohnEcker on Twitter, Gmail
Re: Replacing the Z axis belt with printable linkage
February 13, 2011 06:37PM
Not a bad idea. The hard part would be getting a design that was flexible enough to tolerate errors in printing.

If the positioning system isn't precision the bot can't do what you want it to do.

On the other and, if you combine a sloppy positioning system with a closed-loop control system the bot might be just as good. Maybe you could use those indicator strips inside printers. They have a ton of little dashes on them at exact distances. Closing the sensor loop would allow the bot to automatically adjust itself when it doesn't move the way it expected to move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login