Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Piece on the Gada/Uplift Prize for 3Dprintingindustry.com

Posted by RealityIncCo 
Piece on the Gada/Uplift Prize for 3Dprintingindustry.com
June 21, 2013 03:33PM
Hi folks,

I'm a writer for 3dprintingindustry.com and I'm doing a short write-up on the Gada prize. I've been doing a quick look around the forum and am having a hard time with the organization of things. I found a list of all of the teams that have entered the contest, but haven't seen many updates to their pages and designs. Did interest and entries sort of fizzle out after awhile? Or am I just having a hard time finding the serious entrants?

Is judging really already taking place?

Thanks!
Re: Piece on the Gada/Uplift Prize for 3Dprintingindustry.com
June 22, 2013 03:12PM
The list page was locked down by the point I needed to add my name.

I think the main reason for the confusion is that the original entry requirements seem unattainable. Here is a link with the old requirements. When there were no entries the requirements were change in such a way that more people could submit and set less specific goals.

I don't understand why there wasn't a flurry of activity when the requirements changed. On some other post in this subforum, it is pointed out that a good design is worth more than $20,000 on Kickstarter. I don't think that fully explains it but it is definitely a contributing factor.

All I know is that when I requested an extension for Simpson, Kartik Gada indicated that extension would be no problem because they had some number less than 50 entries to review.
June 23, 2013 07:56AM
You see all the MendelMaxes? Apparently, getting printer designs more replicatable isn't a worthwhile goal for most RepRappers.

One nice thing is, joining the contest doesn't prohibit you from offering it on Kickstarter or Indiegogo, so the worth of the prize adds on top of other business opportunities.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 23, 2013 11:33AM
@Taumflug: I agree. If you were to win the Gada Prize then you would have THE RepRap printer. You could take that all the way to the bank.

I guess the problem has to be the lack of publicity of the new rules.
June 23, 2013 02:53PM
Welp! It's up! Uplift Prize
June 23, 2013 04:16PM
Nice article! It is great to see the prize finally getting some press!

I'm looking forward to the announcement of the winner(s) on June 30.
June 26, 2013 09:30PM
Thanks, fellas!

I agree. Why not do a Kickstarter and participate in the prize? That's the great thing about it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login