Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Documentation and Registration?

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Documentation and Registration?
February 17, 2010 03:46PM
Do we have to document our work and have it reviewed to stay in the running?

I think it may be best to insist on Full Documentation of the entire Stack on the RepRap wiki, starting the instant you register your team up here:
[objects.reprap.org]

Otherwise, we'll get lots and lots of RepRap development in Other Spaces, but none of it going up on the wiki unless or until someone receives a 20,000 or 80,000 dollar check.

This means that every part file and so on live at RepRap.org, as opposed to a proposed entry being a link to a constellation of off-site webpages, parts files, etc.

This would include subassemblies, firmware, electronics, most software, and so on.

Also, I would prefer to avoid "Dark Horse" or competitors working in secret or in Other Spaces and then registering and submitting at the last minute of December 31, 2012, but I'm the one who created the registration page. Disclosure: I'm also the one who registered (Team: Casainfo, Nophead) and put Forrest Higgs' name up there for the Recycler project.

Thoughts and discussion? The rules only say "Participating teams are expected to regularly publish and make available their technology on an ongoing basis." I believe it is reasonable to hope and expect that people will publish on RepRap.org? (I admit to a slight bias towards having people publish on RepRap.org.) smiling smiley

After we ponder this for a while, we may want to ask for the Foresight Institute to clarify the rules after we synthesize something that looks reasonable.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Re: Documentation and Registration?
February 17, 2010 03:49PM
I believe there has been an unofficial agreement with the prize sponsors that Reprap will be handling the team registration and blogging requirements. The details and truth of that will have to await Adrian getting back in his office, however.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
February 17, 2010 05:21PM
It may be useful to advertise the Gada Prize page on the blog every month or so, to rope in and enlist more people. And make sure everyone knows that they should register. I think I may start doing that, unless Adrian volunteers to do so.
February 18, 2010 01:12AM
I agree. I think that would be good for the community.
February 19, 2010 09:19AM
So, I see on the registration page that various projects (well 3 of them) have been registered for parts of the completed system. Is the idea that we will register for the parts we are working on, or register teams working on complete designs, or both?
Hi, Well I would like to enter this but I can't see anyway to do it on the actual page itself, don't suppose any body can help me out?
July 25, 2010 10:52AM
Will B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, Well I would like to enter this but I can't
> see anyway to do it on the actual page itself,
> don't suppose any body can help me out?

Well I am not sure I would enter but I also as a newbie would like to find out more.
And what sort of projects I might be competing against and what the rules are?
July 25, 2010 04:58PM
Hi, Well I would like to enter this but I can't see anyway to do it on the actual page itself, don't suppose any body can help me out?

Go to http://reprap.org/wiki/Gada_Prize, log in, click "edit", and add your name and a link to your wiki page and to your forum thread.

If you have trouble creating a wiki page for your project, use "scaffolding" from http://reprap.org/wiki/Example to do so.

Well I am not sure I would enter but I also as a newbie would like to find out more.
And what sort of projects I might be competing against and what the rules are?

The rules are here:
http://www.foresight.org/gadaprize.php
and the other projects are here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Gada_Prize#Team_Registration_.28This_is_still_open_and_will_be_for_some_time..29

Also, I'd suggest only reinventing only one part of the RepRap toolchain at a time.smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login