Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Team Columbus

Posted by Isaac Olson 
Team Columbus
August 09, 2010 12:48AM
For the last week I've been slowly adding more info to my project page and am now officially announcing the creation of the Columbus team! Please stop by and drop me a comment in Columbus' discussion page or here.
Re: Team Columbus
August 09, 2010 02:35AM
Isaac Olson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the last week I've been slowly adding more
> info to my project page and am now officially
> announcing the creation of the Columbus team!
> Please stop by and drop me a comment in Columbus'
> discussion page or here.

I've been watching your page take form on my RSS. I think it has great potential. I really am digging the panels you designed. I think having them not solid smooth walls would further save on material and will make the printer easier to repair. What CAD software are you using?

Oh, and great job staying in 3rd person too smiling smiley

-Steve
August 09, 2010 11:51PM
tesla893
I think having them not solid smooth walls would further save on material and will make the printer easier to repair.
Good idea. I kept a thin membrane in the center of the panels to add some extra torsional "stiffness", to trap fumes before they're piped off, and also to create a nice controlled build environment to prevent part warping. However, I could definitely see all three of those conditions being met with sort of a "swiss cheese" compromise panel that you then could wrap in plastic wrap to maintain a seal - if the user cared about the fumes that is. If not, and if the part warping was resolved by other means (i.e. heated bed), then that opens up the door to a lot of other cool possibilities. It would be nice to have some access holes in the panels...I am also imagining a hollow honeycomb grid panel...good food for thought. Thanks!

tesla893
What CAD software are you using?
I'm using Unigraphics' NX5 at my university but I'm looking to get into something a little more opensource to get in the spirit of things.

--Isaac

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 09:33PM by Isaac Olson.
August 12, 2010 11:06PM
I've just found out about this project and I'm interested in being on Team Columbus. I've been studying industrial design, CAD and Inventor/solidworks, and engineering processes at school for some time and I wanted a 3D printer but thought I couldn't afford it. So I've decided to get the Isaac repstrap kit and the other parts off ebay and jump into building the Isaac. How does the team work? Can I just say I'm working on this project and go right to it?
August 13, 2010 01:54AM
Hey jkelso,

My name is Isaac (no relation to the RepStrap of the same name). I'm the team leader and - so far - the sole member of the Columbus team. Because of the preliminary nature of the design (and my own inexperience with 3D printers) I wasn't planning on adding any new members for quite some time. The neat thing about this contest is that it is totally open so you could start your own team if you wanted. However, why don't you shoot me a quick email with a few sentences about why you want to be part of the team and some of the awesome stuff you've worked on and studied. Nothing too official thoughsmiling smiley. I'm an engineering student as well and it might be cool to have another greenhorn on the team to bounce ideas off of.

Thanks for your interest.

#Update: I can be reached at olsonites@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 12:52AM by Isaac Olson.

--Isaac
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login