Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forum closed. grinning smiley Reason: because you're all developers!

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Forum closed. grinning smiley Reason: because you're all developers!
April 21, 2011 03:54AM
Hi All!

As an experiment, I'll be closing this forum in a couple days, to help make RepRap better. smiling bouncing smiley

Since the Gada Prize is for development, and you folk are developers, you should do that
development where we do all the other development, in reprap-dev,
our friendly-but-technical and technical-but-friendly official mailing list for reprap development.

If you're reading this, you're an official developer, we would be honored if you join us:
smileys with beerhttp://reprap.org/pipermail/reprap-dev/ smileys with beer

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Re: Forum closed. grinning smiley Reason: because you're all developers!
April 24, 2011 12:11PM
Interesting you start reorganisation with this category ...

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 24, 2011 10:20PM
Well, it's a bit silly to make people talk up their new machines in a development forum and in a development mailing list.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 25, 2011 05:28AM
Who wants their mailbox full of development discussions? eye rolling smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 26, 2011 03:16PM
quite!

Personally I prefer to have a forum where I can browse at will with threads linked rather than having to trawl through unrelated emails...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 03:17PM by AgeingHippy.
April 27, 2011 03:33PM
Who wants their mailbox full of development discussions?
"Developers" do.

Personally I prefer to have a forum where I can browse at will with threads linked rather than having to trawl through unrelated emails...

So .... if Adrian does up a new machine, he talks about it in reprap-dev, but if new guy does up a new machine, he talks about it in gada-prize forum (where reprap-dev doesn't hear about it!?!?!?!)

I think I'll be closing this forum.

April 27, 2011 04:01PM
Some of us "Developers" MUCH prefer forums and would simply not participate in a mailing list. Mailing lists are notoriously hard to search/navigate, and they don't even show up in Google searches, do they? Maybe Adrian should be posting in the forums winking smiley
April 27, 2011 04:22PM
Some of us "Developers" MUCH prefer forums and would simply not participate in a mailing list.

No worries. There's a forum widget I need to install that snycs mailing lists and forums.

My main concern here is that I don't want to force new-devs to
1) talk up their research in this forum
and then
2) email reprap-dev and try to fuss at people until they swap over into this forum and chat up their stuff.
"Hi! I just created a new machine! Would you please comment on it in the gada prize forum?"

It's not very efficient. Or fun.

Since developers who are competing for the Gada Prize are doing development, discussion of those new machines should take place in the mailing list where we discuss and work on development of new machines.

April 28, 2011 03:24AM
From my point of view, with no interest in the Grada prize, I did join the mailing list for a while, but withdrew when things got nasty over the nophead thing, I did not like the format of email anyway, it was hard to follow stuff, I prefer pigeon holes where I know where to find various topics and maybe retrace the thread, I think the forum format is maybe the best for that.

Random Precision
April 28, 2011 03:31AM
johnrpm
I did join the mailing list for a while, but withdrew when things got nasty over the nophead thing, I did not like the format of email anyway, it was hard to follow stuff, I prefer pigeon holes where I know where to find various topics and maybe retrace the thread, I think the forum format is maybe the best for that.

Exactly the same for me...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
THIS JUST IN: PEOPLE WHO USE FORUMS COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MOVE TO SOMETHING THAT ISN'T A FORUM. The only possible response you will get in this thread will be negative/complaints, because only users of the forum will read the thread..

(For the record, I support Sebastien's decision. Also, it would be cool if he makes the mail2forum gateway work.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login