Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

repRappers in Pennsylvania

Posted by maitri982 
repRappers in Pennsylvania
February 04, 2010 12:54PM
i would like to meet some fellow RepRappers here in the states. I have not built one, but plan on building a mendel soon. It would be good to have a group of people to meet with. i am in York Pa...so i am close to maryland as well.

my email is kcramer -at- sapiosciences.com

Best,
kevin
Re: repRappers in Pennsylvania
February 04, 2010 08:57PM
I see you found the Baltimore/DC Reprap group, which seems to be active.

You can also check out the RepRap map.[maps.google.com]
There are some scattered around York, but they seem to be about the same distance as Baltimore.
February 05, 2010 04:19PM
thanks kitep..i did find that group, but they are about 1.5 hours from me...
February 06, 2010 12:00PM
I'm in King of Prussia. Unfortunately I have to repair/rebuild my garage which is going to take most of my free time and disposable budget over spring and summer, but I may steal time to do a McWire while doing so. If we can get a few SE PA folks together, we could do a wings and beer night once in a while to yak and maybe save some shipping by co-ordering parts and supplies.

-- TWZ
February 06, 2010 05:52PM
Hi colonel,

King of Prussia is about the same distance for me as the maryland group. thats not to say I am not interested. Would be worthwhile if we can find some other kindred spirits in central and eastern PA...

kevin
February 28, 2010 04:23PM
I am at the other end of the country. I am in Phoenix, AZ. I am starting a McWire to bootstrap to a Mendel. I am hoping to someday bring some support back to the McWire project so that others can start making parts a lower initial expense. Although, I am beginning to wonder if the stepper motors and electronics and extrudder are most of the non-RP parts, and there might not be much difference in up-front costs.

Mike
February 06, 2011 09:19PM
I live in York, PA, also. I just ordered a RepRep Huxley and I'm doing research before it arives to figure out how to put it together. I'd like to get involved with a community. And I have many questions. Among other things, I'd like to figure out the best places to get the filament and if there are any sellers close to York.

Please let me know if there are any groups in the area and the closest/best suppliers. So far, the closest group I've found so far is in Reading, PA.
March 02, 2011 01:50PM
For better or worse, I'm building a repstrap and another generation of reprap electronics to sell. I'm in Allentown PA.
April 05, 2011 09:33AM
What kind of electronics are you building?
May 31, 2011 09:45AM
I live in Levittown - about 15 miles northeast of Philly downtown.
i am in harrisburg pa and i am looking for a group i want to know everything about 3d printing. I plan on making a prusa and try to make a reprap completly from another....
June 19, 2011 01:04PM
I live in York, PA. So far, I haven't found any groups in the area. The closest one I found is in Reading. I went tnere a few times, but that's too far for me to go on a regular basis. It may be more manageable from Harrisburg. It's a cool group and they have been very helpful to me. I do recommend them if they're not too far for you.

I'm also looking for a group less than an hour drive from York. Harrisburg should be close enough to York. I'm willing to help you with whatever I'm able. But, I am also new to 3d printing.

I just got started building a Huxley (a mini Mendel) several months ago, but haven't finished yet. Between making the time and having no one close to meet with has zapped my resolve for the moment. It's almost ready to try it's first print. It's mostly assembled. I just need to hook up the heater wires and the endstops.

Let me know if I can be any help. And, please keep me posted on your progress with your printer and if you find any other groups or help.

MikeMike
July 03, 2011 11:43PM
I live in Mt. Joy, PA so it's in between Harrisburg and York which is where at least 2 or even 3 of you are from. I just started tooling up with my machine shop. Purchased a very nice mill and lathe last month and have been working on them. My buddy told me just a few days ago about home 3d printers that can print the parts to make a new "duplicate" machine themselves. I was fascinated but then forgot about it.

Tonight while looking for some information on my CNC I'm trying to retrofit into my new mill; I learned about Cupcake CNC which then led me to RepRap.org

All I can say is that this is awesome and right up my ally. Looks like Prusa is the build to go with if you're new (which I am) so I guess that's where I'll start. But it seems like we're all at a disadvantage here as none of us have a working machine yet. Bootstrapping from a wooden build seems to be our only choice at the moment. It can then print parts for us to build our own Mendel (Prusa) models.

So what can I contribute. Well I'm very good at building and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. You can see what I mean on my website at [OUPower.com] ... I am self-taught with electronics but I can do fairly well with them.

I'm a computer programmer so doing the software and firmware work should be fine for me. I'm eager to learn and I love this sort of thing so let's get this party started.

My e-mail is chris-at-OUPower-dot-com
July 04, 2011 03:25AM
Hi Chris, I'm very close to getting my RepRap Huxley to melt plastic. I have the heating element installed, I just have to connect the wires to the board. I have to make and mount the flags for the endstops and do final adjustments and tightening on the frame. From there it will be just a lot of fine tuning to get it to print reliably. If I had a little help, I'm sure my printer will be able to print more parts very soon.

I'm out of town right now, but, I'll be back on Wednesday evening and I'm open to meeting up with you. I'm available evenings after 5:30 pm and weekends. Hopefully, the other RepRappers you mentioned will also be able to join us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2011 09:22PM by MikeMike.
July 11, 2011 08:29AM
Hi Mike,

Sounds great, I would enjoy seeing your Huxley as I have been reading good things about them. Smaller footprint yet a very large print area. Compact and clean little machines. Not sure if you checked out my website or not but I've been doing a lot of tinkering over the past 12 or so years and this is right up my alley. I love this sort of thing. I'm working with EMC2 right now to retrofit an old milling machine I have for new updated CNC capabilities. In essence the bulk of what I'm doing is directly related to work on RepRap. In fact there's not much difference between them except for the fact that a mill historically removes material while a RepRap is adding/depositing material. The rest of the movements are pretty much identical and controlled through CNC interfaces and G-Code.

I'll send you an e-mail with my phone number and we can work out where to meet. I look forward to working with you. My evenings after 5pm are usually free and weekends as well. Perhaps we can get something started in our area. That would be great.
September 03, 2011 09:02PM
Johnstown, PA with a Prusa
September 04, 2011 06:12PM
It looks like Johnstown is about 3 hours west of York, PA, where I am. I'd love to hear about your progress with your Prusa. Maybe we can figure out a way to meet at some point.
September 07, 2011 04:18PM
I have a functioning Mendel in Levittown, PA. Approx. 20 minutes northeast from Philly.

ST
September 14, 2011 02:37PM
Hi Guys,

I'm still here and still kicking. Trying to finish getting my Mill set up with CNC. I would like to do a sort of MillStrap conversion for my Mill so that I can print RepRap parts and ultimately make my own Prusa or Huxley.

My latest advances with my X axis problem on the mill were finally solved: [www.youtube.com]

You can look at other videos I uploaded if you care to see what it was doing before I fixed it LOL!

So I am still here and I am still desiring to get a RepRap going. I just have to keep my priorities in line. By the way... has anyone else besides MikeMike tested the HDPE tubing for their Bowden cable like what I gave him a few weeks back?
December 24, 2011 02:59PM
Hi also in Levittown. Looking to get into the 3D printing community. Need some help with getting a Prusa.
Currently need everything but the brains of the Prusa & the ATX power supply.

If you want to help me/contact me: sgermiller@yahoo.com
December 24, 2011 03:05PM
Hi Tech Geek,

I'm currently not using my Mendel, so you can borrow it to print your parts if you'd like.

ST
December 24, 2011 03:16PM
Cool! I'm heading to church atm will follow up later
December 24, 2011 06:40PM
Back! So what would be included with the printer? Im guessing Ill need to supply the plastic coard? I guess that would be okay. Does anyone know of any places where I can get a large amount of coard really cheap? Also what would I need to get/have to make my plastic parts? Please be specific and if you could provide a list of 'vitamins' that are not easily found in a hardware store, that would be great! I need to get/have go... brb
January 23, 2012 11:13AM
Hi everyone, just wanted to check in.. I live in the Valley Forge PA area (~ 15 miles outside of philadelphia?) and about ready to get into RepRap.. looking at building an Orca model. If there are any locals that want to start a group at some point i'm interested.. my main interests here are to learn about these devices, how they work, and make a few interesting things via google sketchup or similar along the way...

I was curious if anyone here has any input on 'operating temperature' for these devices... i'll probably use it in my basement, but was also wondering if it went to the (non heated, but insulated) garage, will these mendel/orca models work below say 50F ?
February 19, 2012 05:11AM
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I am also in york, PA. Seems there are a few of us here. I am just gathering parts to build a repstrap to prusa. I am trying to work out a non surface mount version of the stepstick. I'm on a tight budget so, no ordering kits for me. Also how do you add your location to the google map?
February 19, 2012 02:14PM
Not sure about the map question, but I would highly enjoy helping you design a through-hole PCB of the stepstick. That is if you are ok withme helping you... I can also help anyone who needs any type of PCB designed for them.
February 23, 2012 01:51PM
It seems there are a few RepRappers in the area, but there hasn't been a place to meet. I'm willing to offer my garage as a meeting spot. It is currently full of junk, no cars though. I'm going to begin clearing it out and creating a workspace. The garage is well lit and has electrical outlets all around. One outlet is electronic sensitive and another is 220, no 3 phase yet. All in all it could turn into a nice workspace.

My home is in East York, PA. PM me for the address. The goal would be to set a regular meeting time. And then all are welcome at other times as long as I'm available.

Let me know if you are interested. Especially, if you'd like to help in making the place suitable.
February 27, 2012 03:59PM
MikeMike - We could probably smell each other's burning plastic! I'm in East York as well. Pretty new to the printing community, but I've got a month into my Prusa build and I have most of the mechanics worked out. Just getting started on firmware and calibrations. I'm maybe another month from actually getting anything printing?

I'd be really intereseted in meeting up with anyone else in the area. I'm afraid I dont really have the space to offer, but I'm more than willing to pitch in and help get one ready and bring some drinks! Shoot me a pm.

Josh
February 27, 2012 06:38PM
Hi Josh, congrats on your progress with your Prusa. It is always nice to find more RepRappers close by. You are welcome to come over. I'll send you the details.
February 29, 2012 09:05AM
Hi all...

I also am still interested in 3D printing & would like to stop by every now and again. I could use an address so I can see if the location is within travailing distance.

Thanks, TECH GEEK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login