How to Cut T-slot?
February 17, 2012 07:09AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for accurately cutting t-slot extrusions? I am thinking of using my mitre saw, but don't know what kind of blade would be appropriate. TIA
Re: How to Cut T-slot?
February 17, 2012 10:20PM
I've used a reversed carbide tipped blade on a tablsaw to cut aluminum sheet stock and it works quite well. I lubricate it using wax (an candle works well), and just take the cuts slowly. I also cover the sheet stock with a piece of plywood to keep the chips from flying too freely.

Obviously you can't cover t-track with plywood on a mitre saw, but I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to cut aluminum t-track with a carbide or even HSS blade. Just take it slowly and make sure you're wearing appropriate eye wear and long sleeves.
February 20, 2012 12:18PM
yeah i concur. There are special non-ferous metal blades that take smaller chips (think 'Hacksaw blade') but they are expensive. a regular carbide tipped blade works best. I tried a cut off wheel as well but i think it just melts and gums up the blade. it also makes superfine fibers that fly everywhere and are probably terrible for your lungs. lesson learned.

It might be a good idea to put some sort of mesh or fabric over the vent ports on your saw so that the chips don't get sucked in and short the motor. Also, be very very careful about the offcut, as it will otherwise turn into a bullet. I use a clamp and bungee cord to pull small offcuts away from the blade.
February 20, 2012 10:24PM
Carbide tipped blade and a fair bit of cutting oil makes it cut like wood.

Just don't forget the eye/ear protection because the chips are fast/hot and it will be loud.

www.Fablicator.com
February 28, 2012 12:10AM
I use a standard wood blade on my miter saw to cut aluminum. Works great. Cutting oil and a carbide-tipped blade are good ideas, though I find they are not necessary. They may produce a cleaner cut, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 12:12AM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 06, 2012 03:24PM
misumiusa.com. they'll cut it accurate to a thousandth for you. it's the best way to go.
August 12, 2012 02:10AM
I just did some testing on a micro sized chop saw with a 36T Carbide blade:

[blog.openbeamusa.com]

-=- Terence
August 29, 2012 11:52AM
The mitre saw will work fine if you use a carbide blade. I'm assuming your saw has a blade with 60/80/120 teeth? That's fine. That little proxxon with 36 was okay, but only because the blade is so small. My 12" has an 80 tooth carbide blade that cuts beam quite nicely. I do it outside, though. It's really noisy and I don't want the chips tossed all over the shop. Hearing protection, long sleeves, face shield are recommended unless you like to gamble with bodily damage.

It's best to have a sacrificial fence behind the beam, even if that's just hardboard. All you want to do is prevent short cutoffs from being tossed by the blade. I like to use blue painter's tape to hold short cutoffs. I run the tape from the workpiece, straight across the cut line and cuttoff, and down to the table. If the cutoff is long enough, I just clamp it and skip the tape.

Go slow and let the blade do the work! The noise will be a bit shocking at first, too smiling smiley

A bandsaw with a bi-metal blade is even better, though noisier. Again, slow is the key. You might also want to spray the blade with a 90/10 water/dishsoap mix for lube. It's messy, but the chips are smaller. Clamp the workpiece in a sliding table for that.
October 10, 2012 01:27AM
Use the carbide saw blade to cut the T-Slot Extrusions which can be found in only abrasive blade.
March 14, 2013 06:42PM
I have tried several methods over the years
Hacksaws, skillsaws, carbide saw blades, etc

Nothing works as good as what I currently use except a high bucks industrial machine

I use a General purpose metal cutting disc and it makes a real nice clean square cut

I attached an image of a 10 inch disc on my miter saw

My projects are listed here - [www.el34world.com]
July 25, 2013 06:10AM
Oh, Thats nice information you have shared. Now so much is cleared in my mind.
November 04, 2013 04:27PM
It is best to use the thin metal cutting disks designed for stainless steel to cut through aluminium.
They are cheap and readily available and slice through like butter. I got this tip from a professional sheet metal worker.
Clamp an angle grinder in the add on stand that converts it into a chop saw for perfect angles.

Ordering stuff through Mitsumi is easiest though. Their standard cuts are very good and they also do more expensive high precision cuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 04:29PM by dave3d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login