Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scrap yard run.... SCORE!

Scrap yard run.... SCORE!
June 16, 2018 12:41PM
I stopped by one of my favorite local scrappers this morning and came home with 130 lbs of 45 mm square t-slot, 1.88 m long, each piece, $2 per lb. All of the pieces have the plastic strips that fill unused slots, and I got a bunch of t-nuts and a few angle brackets, too.

This was only about 1/2 of what they had there. I'll be making another run in a few days.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Scrap yard run.... SCORE!
June 17, 2018 01:56AM
I heard your 'Wahooo' from over the pond winking smiley grinning smiley
What can we expect from your next build with so much stuff laying around?
June 17, 2018 08:36AM
Right now I'm planning a making a large-ish sand-table (this type of thing) for the Milwaukee Maker Faire, coming up at the end of September. The scrap yard has some large (maybe 4' x 6') pieces of clear acrylic or PC that are framed in this same 8020 type material and the owner says he'll give one to me to use for the top of the table (the scrapper is a sponsor of the Maker Faire, and we get a lot of materials from them for different projects). I'm planning on using a either a plain Cartesian or coreXY mechanism to drive the magnet that pulls the ball through the sand.

It will be a nice change setting up a simple machine that doesn't have to be super high precision and has no extruders. I was thinking about using fishing line to move the mechanism, but I have a lot of extra belt waiting to be used, and I know how to deal with it. Using fishing line would involve a bit more messing around and that would take more time. The clock is ticking. I'll either order a Duet board to drive it (quiet) or use the SmoothieBoard I pulled out of UMMD. Quiet operation isn't really needed because the Maker Faire is in a very noisy place. I have a couple NEMA-23 motors from an old Stratasys printer that got scrapped.

June 17, 2018 01:39PM
Awesome machine!
A Ramps with 1/128 drivers would work, too. It looks pretty slow. I like the round shape, do you think it's polar kinematics already exists in 3DP-world?
My sister is into Mandala painting, she'll love it as a coffee table ( and her cats too winking smiley )
June 17, 2018 11:26PM
Some people wrote a gcode generator for corexy mechanisms - you can use it here and DL the resulting gcode.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login