Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendelmax 1.5

Posted by Ville 
Mendelmax 1.5
January 01, 2013 07:52AM
Hello,

finished my Mendelmax just in time for new year.
Video of third print!

specs:
Print material 3mm red ABS, J-Head Mk V-B Hot End-0.35mm, 10mm Y and Z precision smooth rod with crappy chinese LM10UU, 8mm X precision smooth rod also with very noisy chinese LM8UU, Misumi leadscrews and resin nuts for Z, PCB Heatbed MK2a, 3mm window glass, Arduino mega2560 rev3, Ramps 1.4, pololu 4988 stepper drivers, Nema 17 1.7A 57oz-for extruder, 65oz-in 2.3A for everything else. 30A 12V Power Supply, GT2 belts & 32 tooth pulleys and Misumi 20x20mm aluminum extrusion. Bought plastics from waku5678, orange parts in PLA, black parts in ABS. First parts arrived in september, took me forever to self-source all parts down to the last bolt. Finally got the new stepper for extruder last week and decided to try printing something.
Lots of calibration to do, also I'll be changing the X-axis motor to a smaller one soon, ordered a few extra steppers from Primopal since I overdid the motors at first. (2.3A motors apparently dont like only getting ~1.5A,)

I'll take pics if anyone is interested!
Also posted this on the finnish sub-forum.
Re: Mendelmax 1.5
January 01, 2013 10:31PM
I'd love to see a close up of a .1mm/layer print once you get that thing dialed in. MendelMax seems like it should be sturdy and accurate, even at higher speeds...
January 02, 2013 10:45AM
Sure, I'll keep you updated as I make progress!
I really love the frame, it was fun to build and very sturdy indeed.
Probably could sit on the printer without any damage. (not going to try that!)
I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend with the calibration and print more weird looking squares..
January 06, 2013 02:29PM
Well I printed my first 0,1mm test prints, here's pics!

First 0,1mm calibration object

Getting nice smooth walls
January 26, 2013 09:42PM
looks like a lot of buckling/waviness on the smooth walls print. i'm not sure how close to square the prints are expected to be. if that is not expected what could be the cause/solution?
January 27, 2013 11:35AM
If your talking about the wave at the bottom, it's normal.
It's caused by the shrinkage of the ABS combined with the heated bed, I'm not sure I have a good explanations as to why it doesn't just go in then up, but it's what it does.
January 27, 2013 02:00PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If your talking about the wave at the bottom, it's
> normal.
> It's caused by the shrinkage of the ABS combined
> with the heated bed, I'm not sure I have a good
> explanations as to why it doesn't just go in then
> up, but it's what it does.

is that something you are wanting to fix? i'm a complete novice to 3d printing but i wouldn't want that happening on my prints.

maybe remove the heat bed?
January 27, 2013 10:25PM
It does it without a heated bed, it's usually just more localized at the bottom, and it isn't really practical to print ABS without one.
Commercial printers use a heated chamber.
PLA doesn't really exhibit the effect, because it doesn't shrink as much.
January 13, 2014 08:50PM
that is a nice machine :-)

the first print look good and the second can see can't open it.

keep it up ville
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login