Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprapdiscount ordbot hadron, build and kit review

Posted by gazob 
reprapdiscount ordbot hadron, build and kit review
March 25, 2013 07:12AM
I already have an ATI ordbot hadron, when sourcing the parts for this printer may / june of last year I had discussion with the people at RepRapdiscount an ebay seller of electronics from Hong Kong. They too agreed it was a nice platform and unknown to me started the process of sourcing the pieces to supply their own kits. Later in the year they let me know what they were doing and had me test various components on my own printer for form and function. All of those pieces, V-Wheels, Pulleys, Belts, are still running reliably with no issue.

Towards the end of the year they got very busy and I headed off for a long holiday, and by the time this year started things had remained busy for RRD as they had some new electronics packages on the move.

Today I recieved in the mail a large box from reprapdiscount, they have started selling these to resellers and through ebay.

Inside one semi complete ordbot hadron build platform, + electronics kit

20 minutes later a 3d printer platform is built a further 10 minutes of adjustment and its squared and ready for electronics, extruder, heated bed.

Have the required power supply, a hotend from scwerta, an extruder already printed but have to decide where I will be mounting the electronics, whether i want the pain of the hidden wiring and a few ancillary bits to source.

The kit itself went together with very little effort, RRD have done 95% of the assembly, my previous kit was bags and bags of small components and bolts and nuts, this one is much simpler and quicker. Adjustment at this point is pretty rudimentary, and there are a couple of upgraded parts on my ATI hadron that i will be printing for the rrd hadron. All in all it is well built, well packaged, amd shipped fast from Hong Kong.

Thought I'd better add something for the purposes of transparency. Yes RRD sent me this kit for free, they are expecting me to assess the kit and make suggestions for changes. I do not sell goods on behalf of RRD, I am not financially associated with RRD. If the kit is good I will praise it, if it is bad I will endeavour to let you and RRD know how it should be improved.

GaZ
Re: reprapdiscount ordbot hadron, build and kit review
March 26, 2013 05:39AM
first improvement that should be on all ordbots and rolled back into the design is a set of these

[www.thingiverse.com]

The nutblocks on the Z threaded rods are overconstrained against the makerslide, this leads to binding if not well adjusted and Z wobble apparent in the vertical walls of printed objects. These parts give the nutblock a little frredom in the X and Y direction to move without imparting this movement onthe frame. They also prevent the crash into the bed scenario.

I have been using this design on my ATI sourced Ordbot for 2 months now and the difference is remarkable.

Here is the new piece mounted

Still have some decisions to make re wiring and placement of electronics. Seriously contemplating putting all electronics in a standalone box that sits beside the printer, this will free up the back of the handle plate for a possible future multi bowden extruder setup.

Dont need to do this quickly so will keep assessing choices.

GaZ
March 28, 2013 08:03AM
I was wondering how long it would be until the Chinese got into the game as a frame source.
Maybe they already had but I was not aware of it?

It's only a matter of time until builders will be flooded with other Chinese offerings and the prices should come down.
It has happened in many other markets and 3D printing will be getting their attention
I have already seen what happened in the LED bike light market
They came in with very inexpensive LED lights and that made it difficult for small builders to compete

Oh well, that's life today

Anywho, the design looks nice from where I sit

If possible take all your images with good light and make sure they are in focus
It's hard to tell what the assembled machine looks like in the image above

Thanks and keep us up to date

My projects are listed here - [www.el34world.com]
July 03, 2013 03:59PM
I built an ATI mechanicals Ordbot Hadron last August and have been using it ever since.
RAMPS, Marlin, Repitier-host, win XP64
Great little printer.
Lots of problems and tweeks to get decent prints.
Z-Axis problems and extruder most frustrating.
My extruder a mBot Mk7 1.75 mm
I have used PLA, ABS, Nylon.

Mods -- Z-axis couplers, Z-axis stabilizers . cooling, glass bed

Important level bed, consistant extrusion, correct settings for all parameters, getting plastic to stick to bed
October 27, 2013 12:39PM
Rumba
Where can I see more info on extruders
is there a website / store?

smiling smiley
October 28, 2013 05:31PM
I noticed some kits from Reprapdiscount on ebay, I have always liked the look of the Ord bots.

I'd like to know if the Hadron can fit a dual or triple extruder? Or maybe the X can be extended to allow for this without losing build area?

I have 1m of makerslide rail spare, maybe I can use that here.
November 07, 2013 09:34AM
Hi,

I'm new in the forum just bought an Ordbor hadron in DIY kit 2 month ago from reprapdiscount, very fast delivery and good support (fast answear to my emailssss).

To BOBC, the number of extruder sepend of the electronic and software i don't think that you can easely put 3 head and most of the soft are able to manage on or two extruder.

I did a presentation here (in french sorry)

Here are some pictures of my OrdBot :

Before wiring

Adding some light

Wiring

First day printing (one of the first printing - PLA)

See you

JLuc
November 07, 2013 02:39PM
Jean-Luc
I'm new in the forum just bought an Ordbor hadron in DIY kit 2 month ago from reprapdiscount, very fast delivery and good support (fast answear to my emailssss).

To BOBC, the number of extruder sepend of the electronic and software i don't think that you can easely put 3 head and most of the soft are able to manage on or two extruder.

Hi Jean-Luc

The electronics and software is not a problem for me, I have a triple extruder electronics. The problem is I am not so good on the mechanical side, and there is currently only one RepRap with a triple extruder.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
November 07, 2013 04:27PM
bobc
I noticed some kits from Reprapdiscount on ebay, I have always liked the look of the Ord bots.

I'd like to know if the Hadron can fit a dual or triple extruder? Or maybe the X can be extended to allow for this without losing build area?

I have 1m of makerslide rail spare, maybe I can use that here.

There is plenty of space on hadron extruder carriage to fit double extruder, maybe also a triple extruder depends how big is the triple extruder.

Regards
Elvira
November 07, 2013 04:30PM
cozmicray
Rumba
Where can I see more info on extruders
is there a website / store?

smiling smiley

Here can find info about it, i posted today
[forums.reprap.org]

Regards
Elvira
www.reprapdiscount.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 04:31PM by Reprapdiscount.
November 07, 2013 04:42PM
I have just built an Ord Bot Hadron which I got from ATI. Had it shipped from the US to the UK. I am a newbie (or was) and I spent about 50 hours putting it together. This included the mechanical build and wiring the electronics. There was no pre assembly at all, just a box of bits without any instructions. I damaged the Arduino and Ramps boards by wrongly connecting the end stops. I had to replace them.
On the plus side it is built using Makerslide and this makes it a really nice compact and robust design. Better than steel rods and plastic corners.
The extruder was not included and I made the mistake of buying a QU-BD MBE extruder. I wasted many many hours trying to get it working and finally gave up. I have now got a bog standard Gregs Wade extruder with a hotends.com jhead. I haven't looked back since.
Still a few problems but getting there slowly.
Twin extruders are possible but it would be better with a bowden setup imho. Two motors flying about at high speed would be too much weight I think. This is a project I plan in the future. One advantage is the Ord Bot can print fast.
Maybe I should have ordered mine from Reprapdiscount. Looks a nice job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 04:45PM by dave3d.
November 07, 2013 05:01PM
dave3d
I have just built an Ord Bot Hadron which I got from ATI. Had it shipped from the US to the UK. I am a newbie (or was) and I spent about 50 hours putting it together. This included the mechanical build and wiring the electronics. There was no pre assembly at all, just a box of bits without any instructions. I damaged the Arduino and Ramps boards by wrongly connecting the end stops. I had to replace them.
On the plus side it is built using Makerslide and this makes it a really nice compact and robust design. Better than steel rods and plastic corners.
The extruder was not included and I made the mistake of buying a QU-BD MBE extruder. I wasted many many hours trying to get it working and finally gave up. I have now got a bog standard Gregs Wade extruder with a hotends.com jhead. I haven't looked back since.
Still a few problems but getting there slowly.
Twin extruders are possible but it would be better with a bowden setup imho. Two motors flying about at high speed would be too much weight I think. This is a project I plan in the future. One advantage is the Ord Bot can print fast.
Maybe I should have ordered mine from Reprapdiscount. Looks a nice job.

i think double extruder for 1.75mm filament it's still okay since the weight it's around 550g

Regards
Elvira
November 07, 2013 05:16PM
Whole big Ordbot forum on Buildlog site!

[www.buildlog.net]

eye popping smiley
November 07, 2013 05:18PM
Hi Elvira,

I think are you talking about two direct drive extruders which are a bit lighter. Two Wade extruders would be heavier.

Running at 200% feed rate with two Wade/ Nema 17 motors would shake the Ord Bot about I think.

The problem with a Bowden setup is where to mount the extruders? Maybe move the electonics to a separate box to make space.
November 07, 2013 05:40PM
dave3d

I am with you on the bowden setup, the only thing for me is I have never used them before. Initially I would be willing to trace some speed for multiple nozzles. When I have electronics and firmware working with 3, I was thinking of going to bowden setup and see just how many hotends I can fit on one carriage smiling smiley I hope to have hardware support for 9 extruders.

I *think* a piece of t-slot would bolt across the top of the ordbot, which could be used to mount extruders.

I find t-slot much nicer than threaded rod, it may be not be so universal as threaded rod, but is much more solid, and dare I say "professional quality". There's a supplier in the UK which provide a great service who also cut to size.

What is Open Source?
November 07, 2013 05:42PM
dave3d
Hi Elvira,

I think are you talking about two direct drive extruders which are a bit lighter. Two Wade extruders would be heavier.

Running at 200% feed rate with two Wade/ Nema 17 motors would shake the Ord Bot about I think.

The problem with a Bowden setup is where to mount the extruders? Maybe move the electonics to a separate box to make space.

I have to make a demo showing the Bulldog Extruder acting as bowden, i will try to find some place on ordbot smiling smiley, i am just too busy

Regards
Elvira
November 07, 2013 06:18PM
bobc:

a section of t-slot across the top maybe the way to go. I have an account with Mitsumi who can supply the necessary parts.
Just leaves the question of relocating the controller electronics. Keeping it built into the printer would be my preference rather than having it in housed in a seperate box with plugs.
November 08, 2013 07:09PM
bobc

Hi Jean-Luc

The electronics and software is not a problem for me, I have a triple extruder electronics. The problem is I am not so good on the mechanical side, and there is currently only one RepRap with a triple extruder.

Hi BoBc.

I understand your problem.
They are always solution.
First, are you using a OrdBot hadron ? If yes i think That it´s not à big problem to have 2 extruders face to face.
For 3 extruders i would place them in star or triangle with an extention plate.
If you are worried about the extruder mouve, you can put the extruder on the back of the printer (like ultimaker extruder system or Bowden extruder) in this case i think that you could be able to have 4 extruders, 4 heads together in the mouving plate (X) and the extruders in the back.

But i will have an other question, why will you need to use more than 2 extruders? Or what for?

See you

JL

PS : they are some dual extruder like this one [www.thingiverse.com]
Dual flying motors extruder. Two could maybe feet in a extended carriage (x mouving plate)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 07:24PM by Jean-Luc.
November 09, 2013 07:20AM
Jean-Luc
First, are you using a OrdBot hadron ? If yes i think That it´s not à big problem to have 2 extruders face to face.
For 3 extruders i would place them in star or triangle with an extention plate.
If you are worried about the extruder mouve, you can put the extruder on the back of the printer (like ultimaker extruder system or Bowden extruder) in this case i think that you could be able to have 4 extruders, 4 heads together in the mouving plate (X) and the extruders in the back.

I'm convinced by the Hadron frame, so I have ordered one.

Jean-Luc
But i will have an other question, why will you need to use more than 2 extruders? Or what for?

Multiple colours, materials.

What is Open Source?
November 12, 2013 08:48AM
bobc

Multiple colours, materials.

Hi,

I saw this triple extruder : http://richrap.com/?p=121

See U
JL
November 21, 2013 06:41PM
bobc

I *think* a piece of t-slot would bolt across the top of the ordbot, which could be used to mount extruders.

I find t-slot much nicer than threaded rod, it may be not be so universal as threaded rod, but is much more solid, and dare I say "professional quality". There's a supplier in the UK which provide a great service who also cut to size.

I was planning to put a piece of fram on the top.
I have ordered it.
It will be more rigid and it will handel the pla or abs.
I will post pictures.

JL
November 23, 2013 07:20AM
I've now built most of a Hadron, just need to do final assembly. It feels like a solid piece of kit!

Extending the axes looks as easy as I hoped, but I want to get printing with the standard build and a single extruder first.

What is Open Source?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login