Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where are the MendelMax 1.5 X-ends?

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Where are the MendelMax 1.5 X-ends?
July 05, 2013 06:00PM
Hi, I have started printing the STL's from this package:
[www.thingiverse.com]

BUT, I cannot find any X-ends in that package, nor in the previous MendelMax package.

Now, in this BOM, I am seeing that they are needed:
[docs.google.com]

Anyone know?

Also, I though I could get away with using all 8mm smooth rods, but I notice that the Z-smooth rods are 10mm, is there an option of using 8mm or do I HAVE to use the 10mm? I am not able to change the parts myself.

Oh, and to be sure, the 10mm smooth rods are for the Z-axis right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2013 10:30AM by Ohmarinus.
Re: Where are the MendelMax 1.5 X-ends?
July 07, 2013 08:47AM
Okay, I've decided to go with Prusa i3 X-ends. BUT I probably have to change something in those X-ends so they fit around the 10mm smooth rod.

The vertical X-axis will use the following extruder:
[www.thingiverse.com]
together with:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Does anyone know if Prusa i3 X-ends exist that are made for 10mm rods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2013 08:47AM by Ohmarinus.
July 09, 2013 05:32AM
When looking at the BOM of the MendelMax, I see some 10mm smooth rods, I am ordering my vitamins now, and I notice in the STL's that there are also 8mm versions of the Z-axis in the STL's.

These are for the Z-vertex, the Motor mount and this would mean that if I use these, I don't need 10mm smooth rods anywhere in my MendelMax right? This would make my ordering process easier and cheaper.

Can anyone confirm this?

It's awfully quiet in this forum the last few days..
July 11, 2013 05:33PM
Yes. You are correct. The 8mm versions do indeed go with 8mm rods. I recently put together a MendelMax using the same STLs. I have 8mm rods all around.

I ended up using the X-Ends here: [github.com], but The spacing between the rod and the lead screws is too tight (28mm instead of 30mm), so my Z motor mounts needed to be modified to fit the motors. I've since designed my own X ends to fix this issue.
July 11, 2013 07:11PM
Hi, thanks, in the meanwhile I have created my own X-ends too, I am using the Prusa i3 X-ends, because I want vertical rods (I think they look beautiful and give better accessibility).

Also, I have ordered Chromed rods, and a combination of two different push-fit bearings (this setup is VERY EXPENSIVVVVV, damn.. chromed rods are incredibly expensive, on the other hand, I can re-use the rods on other projects, since they will never wear-out haha).

And I am getting a Bowden setup with a J-head.

Will surely put up some pictures when I have everything up and running. I will probably run into problems with my RAMPS, since I have never used RAMPS before (I'm more of a Sanguinololu man..).

For example, I have no idea where I can connect my 12v fans to on the RAMPS.
July 15, 2013 10:36AM
It seems the original BOM isn't updated anymore, but in the STL's there are changes made that require a bit more clarification. Argh.

I've found a guide on putting together the MendelMax 1.5 on techpaladin, but that is with older STL's and older parts.
July 15, 2013 04:28PM
You could always se the Lulzbot AO-101, it's a modified mendalmax 1.5 and they have the complete BOM and printed parts available
Ohmarinus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems the original BOM isn't updated anymore,
> but in the STL's there are changes made that
> require a bit more clarification. Argh.
>
> I've found a guide on putting together the
> MendelMax 1.5 on techpaladin, but that is with
> older STL's and older parts.
July 20, 2013 07:13AM
It's incredible how easy the MendelMax comes together once you have all the required parts (Conrad had delayed my M5 nuts by more than a week while they said it would be only 2 days waiting time... ARGH).

I have ordered custom bushings, metal ones with a PTFE layer on the inside. They do not require any lubricant and last long.

For these bushings I have made rigorous changes to the Prusa i3 X-end and X-carriage system, so I can use a vertical X-carriage with my custom linear bushings and have the easy-reach of the vertical carriage. Together with these bushings I have ordered high-grade chromed rods and the whole frame of the Mendelmax is put together using ONLY imbus-bolts.

The threaded rods are M6 threaded rods that are connected to the 5mm stepper motor shaft by a special aluminum coupler. The motors are bottom-mounted (I've also seen MendelMaxes with top-mounted motors, maybe the pre-1.5 version?).

Maybe the bushings won't work, there is a possibility that I have to rearrange the whole X-end structure to fit LM8UU linear bearings again due to the bushings wearing out too fast.
April 23, 2015 08:14PM
Hi Ohmarinus,

Do you happen to still have the design files for a vertical x-axis on the Mendel max 1.5 using LM8UU linear bearings? I have an M10 smooth rod and an M8 threaded rod for my z-axis and have been looking around for X-ends without much success.

Thank you!
April 30, 2015 12:26AM
Hi all,

In case someone else comes across this looking for a way to convert the mendel max 1.5 to a vertical x-axis, I've uploaded some files to thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]. Hopefully they can be of some use.

Good luck!
Maddy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login