Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to get 20x20mm aluminum extrusion

Posted by Doug1 
Where to get 20x20mm aluminum extrusion
May 14, 2014 03:31PM
Ok guys looking for some suggestions here that hopfully wount send me to the poor house.

Now i built an I3XL already but some of the mods i want cant really be accomplished with that design. so looking at the Haeckel. Last i figured i need about 10 meters of the stuff.
Re: Where to get 20x20mm aluminum extrusion
May 14, 2014 03:45PM
In Germany i'm getting my stuff from motedis.com
Or have you tried Ebay?
May 14, 2014 06:01PM
In countries where Misumi has an office, they not only sell most T-slot extrusions at a reasonable price but they will even cut it to your exact dimensions for free. Their USA operation even ran a special campaign a few months ago where RepRap users got a free $150 credit on their first order.....
May 15, 2014 05:59PM
You might try Paletti too. I've used a lot of their extrusions in the past.
May 16, 2014 10:29AM
Definitely Misumi if you are in the US or Canada, but I might be biased... smiling smiley These might do the trick.
[us.misumi-ec.com]

You can also try McMaster-Carr as well. Misumi is a little cheaper, and we'll cut it to length for you, plus you can get cool surface finishes too. McMaster will probably get it to you faster, though, and their prices are also good.

Up to you, but these are just a couple of other options.
May 19, 2014 03:41AM
Misumi-europe does not send to resellers/ private clients, according to their new user registrations page.

ShapeForger
May 19, 2014 06:12AM
Their US web page said the same thing, but they created the accounts for everyone anyway as long as you paid by credit card...and even gave us a free $150 of "house money" to start playing with during the First150 promotion.

If the European office will not do the same, I wonder if Carey and crew can enter/process orders through the US office and ship them out of Europe?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 06:13AM by vreihen.
May 19, 2014 09:11AM
Ohhh..... good idea, but I can't do that for Misumi UK. I would give that office a call and see how they can help you. Alternately, I can see if I can find someone in the UK subsidiary that can help. I'll see what I can do.

Carey
May 22, 2014 03:12PM
To order from Misumi in Europe, you just need a business address. You do not need to be registered for VAT.

As mentioned previously, they will not supply to individuals (I am in the UK and think their offices are based in Germany). One way round this is to order through work if you have a friendly employer. If all else fails, set up your own limited company. Cost me about 12 GBP.

I made enquiries initially about ordering from the States but was told by Mitsumi that they would simply redirect any enquiries to their European office.

I might add they make good stuff.
June 05, 2014 02:30PM
dave3d
To order from Misumi in Europe, you just need a business address. You do not need to be registered for VAT.

As mentioned previously, they will not supply to individuals (I am in the UK and think their offices are based in Germany). One way round this is to order through work if you have a friendly employer. If all else fails, set up your own limited company. Cost me about 12 GBP.

I made enquiries initially about ordering from the States but was told by Mitsumi that they would simply redirect any enquiries to their European office.

I might add they make good stuff.

The UK/European site is very bad and they don't have any configuration manager that works when it comes to ordering 20x20. Also, they are ridiculously overpriced compared to the US Misumi.

I'm going for OpenBeam, but only because my construction can have it.
June 19, 2014 09:15PM
I got mine through inventables.com
June 23, 2014 05:32AM
Hi , you can have it ( and 20x40 ,20x60 and 20x80 ) on
www.vslot-europe.com
November 06, 2014 04:42AM
I buy mine from China.

Even factoring the shipping, etc., it's still cheaper than in Europe and definitely cheaper than anything from Misumi.

And the quality is really good - very heavy and strong, much more than I thought it was going to be.

I paid US$3.50 each for a 1000mm piece.
November 18, 2014 04:23PM
ledaero, have you got a link ?
November 20, 2014 03:10PM
ledaero
I buy mine from China.

Even factoring the shipping, etc., it's still cheaper than in Europe and definitely cheaper than anything from Misumi.

And the quality is really good - very heavy and strong, much more than I thought it was going to be.

I paid US$3.50 each for a 1000mm piece.

Yes please can you give us a link ?
January 15, 2015 11:00PM
UK Suppliers: e3d and [www.aluminium-profile.co.uk]
February 03, 2015 04:59PM
[www.motedis.com]

3,43€ for 1 meter - doesn`t get much cheaper then this and they have good quality plus really good quality of the cutting!

They ship all over europe.

Where you from?

ordered 30 or so individually measured pieces - each is true to the millimeter!
and now everything fits together very nicely

Alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 04:59PM by Alexander1984.
February 16, 2015 09:39PM
Thanks for the heads up Alexander!
I've been struggling to find a supplier at a reasonable cost here in Ireland, but just ordered from Motedis after seeing your link.

The cheapest I could find locally was €9 per meter and are only available in 3M sections which I'd then have to cut myself...I got 3 x 1M and 9 x 360mm for €40 including shipping!

Thanks again thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 09:40PM by Verdigrie.
March 02, 2015 09:29AM
Is there a good source for extrusion located in Canada ?

I'm thinking about getting them from Misumi, but shipping to Canada isn't the cheapest.
March 05, 2015 03:08PM
andreq
Is there a good source for extrusion located in Canada ?

I'm thinking about getting them from Misumi, but shipping to Canada isn't the cheapest.

For anyone interested, I found some local place who could make the Wilson TS extrusion for ~45-50$ CAD.

if you only need the extrusion it's a good idea to look arround localy.
Since I needed the linear shaft, I ended up getting both the extrusion and shaft from Misumi for ~105 USD with shipping to canada.

Misumi charged ~$27 USD + $8 USD duty to ship to Canada.
April 28, 2015 09:32AM
I have just received my order from Motedis All cut to length perfectly and far cheaper than RS.

I am based in the UK and it took about 10 days to arrive.

Recommended!

Z

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
April 28, 2015 10:02AM
I get my 8020 (typically 1.5" x 1.5") from my local industrial scrapper for $2 per lb.

Find your local scrappers and get to know them. If you live near a medium to large population city, there's probably a place where you can get this sort of thing very cheaply. They often have other linear motion parts you can take off machines for pennies on the dollar.
April 28, 2015 11:35AM
the_digital_dentist
I get my 8020 (typically 1.5" x 1.5") from my local industrial scrapper for $2 per lb.

Find your local scrappers and get to know them. If you live near a medium to large population city, there's probably a place where you can get this sort of thing very cheaply. They often have other linear motion parts you can take off machines for pennies on the dollar.

It does not have to be a large city. We have an industrial surplus shop nearby (here in the sticks) that buys old factory automation stuff from IBM's chip fabs and other businesses. Power supplies, linear motion hardware, pneumatics, temperature controllers, extrusions, cables, fastener, and anything else that you can imagine. The problem is that most of the surplus extrusions are too banged up to use as roller tracks, and 8020's non-metric dimensions make it more painful than it should be to use that stuff with existing printer designs/kits.....
April 28, 2015 12:22PM
zitman
I have just received my order from Motedis All cut to length perfectly and far cheaper than RS.

I am based in the UK and it took about 10 days to arrive.

Recommended!

Z

That's good to hear. I recently ordered 3 x 1m 2020 extrusions from them. Cost was £2.39 each + £13.35 shipping + VAT. So the shipping cost more than the extrusions. I ordered some of their T nuts too, they appear to have a spring-loaded ball so that they stay put after you slide them to the required position.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 29, 2015 08:43AM
Just done a comparison with the prices I was paying at RS:

T-Nuts
RS - £4.96 / 10 £0.496 each
Motedis - £16.02 / 100 £0.16 each

Corner brackets
RS - £2.71 / 1 £2.71 each
Motedis - £6.20 / 1 £0.62 each

Even with postage it's quite a saving.

Z

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
September 09, 2015 12:07AM
The cost should be less than US3.0 from :

www.extrusions.com.hk

They can also tailor-made for small quantity.
September 15, 2015 04:56AM
Nanjing Meicheng aluminum science and technology co.,ltd is chinese factory manufacturing aluminum profile, aluminum profile accessory and aluminum frame.

We can also provide customized design service.

Pls visit our website www.mc-ly.com
January 22, 2016 11:03PM
In Canada checkout my store Makerparts.ca
we carry openbuilds V-slot extrusion.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
March 30, 2016 09:32PM
June 10, 2016 08:44AM
I have used [www.item24.com] extrusions for my printer

My 3D printer videos [www.youtube.com]
My E-Waste CNC videos [www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login