Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

diy ultimaker of extruded aluminium

Posted by Vizual54 
diy ultimaker of extruded aluminium
December 06, 2014 10:26AM
I'm thinking of building a ultimaker style printer of extruded aluminum parts and then using mdf as back and bottom and acrylic as sides. Control board will probably be a due and a chimera extruder from e3d.

What dimension of the extruded aluminum do you think I should go for? 20x20mm or 30x30mm? Size of the printer will probably be about the same as the ultimaker.

By the way this will be my first build, I'm about to buy a Ormerod 2 for learning the basics of 3d printing first and to print parts for this build.
Re: diy ultimaker of extruded aluminium
December 06, 2014 08:41PM
20x20 can handle the task.

http://www.i3d.ro
December 15, 2014 02:53AM
I going to be doing the same thing, but I am using Goopyplastic's t-slot tantillus as the basis for mine. I will be modifting the positions of the rods in the corner brackets to accepy my ultimaker rods, bearings, and belt sets . I suggest you take a look at his design in the tantillus forum and see if its something you are interested in.
December 15, 2014 08:09PM
Mpower? how much will the 2020 take? e.g. a meter span with a kilo weight on it?
December 16, 2014 03:37AM
For Misumi, you can calculate the deflection using the following tables:
[www.misumiusa.com]
[www.misumiusa.com]

http://www.i3d.ro
December 17, 2014 07:19AM
MPower
For Misumi, you can calculate the deflection using the following tables:
[www.misumiusa.com]
[www.misumiusa.com]

wow? a 10 kg load at the center? for 20x20...

edit make that 2kg..

last edit...eeee i forgot how to do it so non the wiser, ty any way gues its a secret lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 07:44AM by munchit1.
February 03, 2015 04:53PM
I would go for 30x30!
it is much sturdier and has way better overall stability.
Also i would not connect the aluminum extrusion by printed parts but rather thos metal 90° angles designed to connect the profiles.
That way you get a frame you can sit on top or stand upon and it will be rock solid -> and Yes I am speeking out of experience - i build an enclosure with 30x30 extrusion and the bigger version of the 90° connectors.
I can easily stand on the housing I built. seems really rigid.

use printed parts to mount accesories to the extrusion - that`ll work.
But for anything else use aluminum - you`ll be happy you went this route lateron^^

Alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 04:54PM by Alexander1984.
February 04, 2015 08:32AM
Alexander1984
I would go for 30x30!
it is much sturdier and has way better overall stability.
Also i would not connect the aluminum extrusion by printed parts but rather thos metal 90° angles designed to connect the profiles.
That way you get a frame you can sit on top or stand upon and it will be rock solid -> and Yes I am speeking out of experience - i build an enclosure with 30x30 extrusion and the bigger version of the 90° connectors.
I can easily stand on the housing I built. seems really rigid.

use printed parts to mount accesories to the extrusion - that`ll work.
But for anything else use aluminum - you`ll be happy you went this route lateron^^

Alex

yes thats where i'm at in my thinking...still reading up on stuff as it is though, and luckkily for me and my wollet i did, seems for every greatened theres a wee fabled failing lol. i'm really leaning towards the H6 linear rail and folking out on bearings, the 30 30 framing or 2040..but for cost, printed parts..but after spending on other bits it always comes back (for me any way) the metal 90 degree efferts offer much much more versatility, especialy when it comes to fine tuning to get things straight and angled as you can. if your just wapping up a boggo standard frame..ehhh its out, just a fraction but defenaitly out, then add rails or bars or whatever..another 'ehhh its out, just a little but it out' lol.

my last search is for screw bars and the final stand, the heated bed, a standard prusa size or the slightly larger readily available heater beds dont quite cover the area i want lol.. 500-1000mm seems exsesive but it is required to complete the project i'm on.. and as my dear old dad keeps saying...'i dont know why you want to print piddly bits of plastic weird shapes withno real use'' lol he's right, i want mine to work as best i can lol. squigaldy octopus thing any body? lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 08:37AM by munchit1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login