Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another T-SLOT Replicator

Posted by araspitfire 
Another T-SLOT Replicator
June 10, 2010 12:49AM
Greetings. I've been reading and reading, for weeks now... (ever since I discovered that RP parts could also be structural...) Forums, wiki pages, blogs... whatever I found.. and I kept finding more...

My intentions changed every couple days for a while, but I finally decided to build a RepStrap machine, because I want to be able to mill on it.

I decided I wanted to design my own, based on things I've read, rather than try to follow someone elses 'recipe'.

I pulled together this:

The bearing design came from someone I met on IRC. I have a welder, and can weld aluminium, so I've made changes that allow for that:

Then I decided that UMD was too heavy and klunky, that I had the money to spend on something with more 'bling'... thus I designed this:

The T-SLOT is sourced from RS Components.. and I decided to make my Z axis using their adjustable slider bearing:

I'm still going for over constrained mendel bearings on the X and Y (over constrained for rigidity, and using 12mm bearing rod:

I'm using the full width 10mm belt. (also for stiffness)

The Bearing holders are 15mm x 15mm x 3mm Aluminum angle. I'll try using a vanilla 90 degree holder first but if needed, I'll make a 120 degree one with my bender out of 2mm plate.

More notes:
the T-Slot is 44mm square, with a 44x88 vertical for stiffness in the Y direction. A lot of the geometry/design comes from mendel, but I want to be sure I'm going to be stiff enough.. If I can't get enough torque out of my Nema 23 steppers, I may build a lead/screw option for milling... I'd really like to be able to mill aluminium on this, if it's stiff enough, and I can build a decent speed controlled mill head.

Looks like my build volume will be 25cm or so in each direction.....

Even though I've read a ton, I feel pretty new at this. Before I drop 350 euros on some FlexLink T-SLOT parts from RS components, I'd sure like to hear from anyone inclined to critique this design.

I have plans to develop stuff more usefull to the RepRap community off of this.. as per nophead...

I have most of the parts needed to make a variant of his no comprimize extruder.. I don't own a lath though, so mine will be achievable with just a drill-press and taps... (I'll use mig torch tips, in a block with resistor) I'll see how drilling a 3mm hole in M8 rod works with just a drill press and some 'technique'.

Who knows.. I may even build a mendel if my printing works out to be reliable enough...

Thanks,

Al...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 01:05AM by araspitfire.

[araspitfire.blogspot.com]
Re: Another T-SLOT Replicator
June 10, 2010 07:14AM
Looks good.

I like the design except I can't weld anything. sad smiley
I'm currently making a similar construction using basically 1x2's.

Did you draw it using Sketchup?

If so, would you post the drawing file? I've gotten spoiled for being able to turn pictures, to view them from all directions, that I can't imagine not being able to do that!

A blender file would work too.
June 10, 2010 09:17AM
Actually the only welding on the t-slot version is planned to be on the 90 degree bearing mounts. One could easily avoid welding by moving the long bolts in so they cut into the angles. The guy I got the idea from used a center bolt into the V of the angle to hold them together.

Unfortunately the design is done in Inventor (education license). One of the reason for my getting into this is to practice with the tools I hope to use for employment. At some point, if I find time, I may fire up one of the open source modelers and have a go with it...

Al...
June 10, 2010 09:43AM
You could export to VRML format as it can be viewed within a browser if the proper plugin is installed.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
June 10, 2010 12:33PM
> I'll try using a vanilla 90 degree holder first
That should work fine. Gilesbathgate is doing exactly that. Look at his May 5th blog. And... he is printing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 12:35PM by Arvin.
June 10, 2010 01:00PM
Yes.. it was Gilles who showed me his bearing design. (sorry, forgot who it was, and IRC leaves no record)

Al...

July 01, 2010 01:59PM
araspitfire, giles,

Any interest in doing up a wiki page on your project(s) and turning it into official reprap documentation(tm)?smiling bouncing smiley

I think it would be very cool.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
July 02, 2010 06:10AM
I intend to...

I'm 2/3rd of the way into cutting aluminium right now, and waiting for the rest of my RS Components order to be delivered to start assembly.

When I have it together (thus verifying my design), I'll figure out how to make a wiki page. I think I have the basics, so no need to do it for me Sebastien.

I figured I wanted a photo of something that looks like the model (or what it evolves into), before I stuck up a wiki page.

Likewise, when I get my "no lathe" version of nophead's resistor heater extruder working....

Al...

September 11, 2010 04:50PM
Putting OverlapStrap design on the reprap wiki has been on my TODO list for a long time now.

In the meantime you can see my own documentation here:

[www.gilesbathgate.com]

or you can clone my git project:

git clone [www.gilesbathgate.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login