Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building Questions

Posted by ollyreprap 
Building Questions
July 16, 2015 05:05PM
I've been using a Reprap Ormerod 2 for a while now( about a year and a half) , as much as i think its a great little printer i want something a bit bigger and better. Since i like doing stuff myself i want to design and build my own using open builds
VRAIL as a core structural material ( [openbuildspartstore.com]).

I had a few questions, i was wondering if anyone could answer, I've put this in this sub forum since i thought it suited it best, however if someone thinks it needs moving please tell me.

1. Is this a feasible idea , am i taking on too much. I've looked online and the process seems difficult but doable? eg Making the frame and then customizing the software to suit the printer/
2. Is there any advantage in having the bed not moving eg unlike most of the reprap designs?
3. Is there existing, customisable firmware for a H-bot configuration, the customization file in the rep rap firmware seems based on a core XY machine?
4. Are there any resources in terms of theory guides about designing a printer? I've googled a fair bit but can't find much relevant content.
5. Does anyone know any good online shops for getting aluminum plates etc custom machined (UK).

Thank you very much and any clarification do ask.
Oliver
Re: Building Questions
July 16, 2015 05:27PM
Hi Oliver,

What print size are you looking for? Is there a particular reason you are looking at the H-bot configuration? Have you considered delta? There are lots of mature delta designs available, and quite a few kits.

A non-moving bed (as in a delta) makes it easier and safer to use an AC mains powered heater for it, which is the only practical method of heating a large bed. You can also hide the PSU and/or the electronics under the bed. See my blog entry at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

I added the CoreXY support to RepRapFirmware. Supporting HBot in it shouldn't be difficult, I just need to know the motion details of your printer.

If you go the Hbot route then this thread [forums.reprap.org] may be of interest, I think it is Hbot.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 16, 2015 05:30PM
1) Yes, definitely. People do it all the time. Designing and building a printer isn't rocket science. Customizing the firmware is easy for the most common mechanical configurations.
2) Think about inertia and the masses that will be moving. In general you want to minimize moving mass but not to the point where things become flexible enough to affect print quality. If you can't reduce the mass without wrecking print quality, you can always apply stronger control to the motion with better drivers, higher voltage power supplies, and higher torque motors. Or you can just print slower. You can build a printer out of spaghetti if you limit the print speed. For larger build volumes, maybe 300x300x300 mm or more, the delta configuration or coreXY is probably the best way to go.
3) ?
4) See this: [www.instructables.com]
5) ?
July 16, 2015 06:16PM
Thank you very much guys this helps a lot.

In response to your questions.
Since i want to design this myself, the reason I've never considered a delta is simply lack of experience however after reading your blog post i am strongly considering it, the h-bot only appealed to me since it limited the amount of motors moving however i would probably go with Core XY if i built a cube like machine.
in terms of size 300x300x300 would be very good, i already have all the parts from an ormerod 2 so would be looking to rebuild only the frame, hotend and extruder while keeping the electronics and motors the same to keep the cost down.

Thanks again for all the information

Oliver
July 02, 2016 07:26AM
sounds similar to what I'm doing at the minute ive got a cheap Chinese kit from ebay. why workplace has just purchased a taz5 which came with all the files need to print parts. see where this is going ?
so using my printer and the one at work ive managed to make a start on building my very own taz5 alliexpress has been my friend during this build and IT-Works has helped also with the parts ive needed.
I plan on using my old motors,motherboard and display to get mine up and running until I can upgrade to taz recommended board. the taz5 has a 300x300 printbed and once again parts are all on aliexpress.

have a look here also

[ohai.lulzbot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 07:27AM by wampablo.
July 02, 2016 04:12PM
This is very good resource. [openbuilds.org]. Lots of people building printers using open builds Vslot. Lots of designs which could give you inspiration. V-slot makes excellent linear guides IMO. You can use Open Builds aluminium gantry plates and their Delrin wheels. Design your own parts to fit on the gantry plates or fit the wheels directly to your own parts. There is a whole range of accessories such as twin bearing Delrin idler pulleys (light but strong), aluminium plain and eccentric spacers etc etc. It's a very flexible system. There are a couple of UK suppliers that I've used. [ooznest.co.uk] and [robocutters.co.uk]. There is also this one in Portugal who ship to the UK [www.ratrig.com] . I found them considerably cheaper then the UK sites when I last looked but prices vary and with the current exchange rate, it may not be such a good deal. I'm currently having delivery issues with them so can't recommend them at this time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login