Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

linear rail mounting questions

Posted by kenny1921 
linear rail mounting questions
September 29, 2015 04:00PM
hi guys, i am planning on building a 3d printer and have decided to use the v slot material to build the frame, however i want to use a standard 8mm linear rail to run the x and y axes.

does anyone know where i can purchase some mounting plates that will allow me to mount the round linear rail to the v slot material.

i have found [www.ebay.co.uk] but this will only lock the rail
into position and it wont let the rail spin which would be required so that the x axes can move.

i would need something like that i guess but i would need the end to be covered so that the rail doesnt fall out of the machine and also it would require linear bearings. i believe i have every other bit of the mounting and axes' sorted just im stuck on that.
Re: linear rail mounting questions
September 30, 2015 01:40PM
The linear rails should just bolt onto the extrusions, provided you matched the linear rails mounting bolts with the size of screw your extrusions are made for. If you are concerned about the carriage on the rail sliding off the edge, you can just put an screw and t-nut butted up against the end of the rail.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 01, 2015 08:32AM
Look at www.motedis.com
October 01, 2015 08:52AM
Are you trying to use the round rail as a linear motion guide, as an axle for pulleys to drive a belt, or both?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 02, 2015 07:51PM
Can't you use these, perhaps larger ones, I've been thinking of using them to support the rods, better than A blocks rail supports.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KFL08-FL08-Self-Aligning-Pillow-Block-Flange-Bearing-8mm-Shaft-2PCS-/191496178601?hash=item2c960fcba9:g:GEoAAOSwLVZVjVah
March 25, 2016 12:50AM
Please don't let the rod rotate! It's much, much more precise to anchor your rod as strongly as possible, and just use another rod as a driveshaft.
March 27, 2016 06:24PM
I cant quite see the problem, the rod supports you linked to wont let rod fall anywhere as they have a clamp built in, the main problem would be they would only work with profile on one axis, 90 degrees to the profile, due to the holes, if you want both holes to be bolted to the profile they will have to go into same slot, you probably wont be able to straddle 2 slot as the dimensions would be out. You'll probably need some M5 10mm(+thickness of support) bolts with M5 tnuts too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 08:42PM by MechaBits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login