Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why is V-slot so much more expensive than T-slot

Posted by Antscran 
Why is V-slot so much more expensive than T-slot
February 02, 2017 02:14AM
Hi all,

I have recently purchased some 2020 T-slot profiles which are well made with a good finish and was just looking at V-slot prices for comparison.

The V-slot is 2-3 times the price, yeah it has a V profile but trying to understand why there is such a price difference?

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
Re: Why is V-slot so much more expensive than T-slot
February 02, 2017 05:37PM
I would assume volume at this point. T-slot is more widely used than V-slot, and V-slot seems to be relatively new.
February 04, 2017 10:10AM
Yep could be, would be interested to understand why. It is a unique product so guess they can charge what they like, I am just curious.

From what I can see the raw material and process is the same no matter if it's T-slot or V-slot, you just swap the die shape out to form the different profile.

I posted a reply to RatRig's advert HERE on the forum as they seem to be the only producer in the EU, see if they can shed some light on the question.

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
April 27, 2017 09:44AM
What prices are you discussing. How can someone recommend a source if they don't know what expensive means to you?
April 27, 2017 12:35PM
Hi cwaa,

My second post actually links to some prices I compared, however I am happy to provide a link to some 2020 T-slot for reference.

http://www.motedis.com/shop/Slot-profiles/Profile-20-I-Type-slot-5/Aluminium-Profile-20x20-I-Typ-slot-5::1076.html

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
April 27, 2017 04:03PM
I purchase from Open Builds and I can get a 250 mm 20X20 v-slot for $3.00 plus shipping. A 1000mm 20X20 for $10.00. That seems reasonable to me.
I used to work in an extrusion operation. Die changes are very costly and create downtime on very expensive equipment. So longer runs are better and less costly per/foot. So volume will have a lot to do with price.
When I built my printer I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of the extrusions. I used mostly 20X80 v-slot. What set me back was the cost of the double ball bearing rubber wheels, and I needed 16 at about $5.00 each.
November 27, 2019 05:39PM
Hi guys, I realize this is an old thread, but I have your answer. Openbuilds is bullying the industry with lawyer BS. I am trying to find publications to defend my business (and livelihood) at the moment to prove that V-slot frame has been around far before OpenBuilds trademarked the word "V-slot" in 2016. OpenBuilds lawyers hunt down competition selling V-slot and threaten them with legal action I presume. My business sells V-slot frame...I drafted the profile and own the extrusion dies. I cut and ship the extrusions and sell these on Amazon and eBay for a competitive price. OpenBuilds has filed 24 or so violations against my company yesterday claiming trademark violations from using the term "V-slot" and counterfeit product violations after I changed my listings to "Vslot". I do not sell or advertise these as an OpenBuilds product or replacement. Ironic their name suggest "open-source" but their practices are in fact centered around the legal market isolationism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 05:39PM by pdtechBigBot.
November 28, 2019 08:11AM
pdtechBigBot
Hi guys, I realize this is an old thread, but I have your answer. Openbuilds is bullying the industry with lawyer BS. I am trying to find publications to defend my business (and livelihood) at the moment to prove that V-slot frame has been around far before OpenBuilds trademarked the word "V-slot" in 2016. OpenBuilds lawyers hunt down competition selling V-slot and threaten them with legal action I presume. My business sells V-slot frame...I drafted the profile and own the extrusion dies. I cut and ship the extrusions and sell these on Amazon and eBay for a competitive price. OpenBuilds has filed 24 or so violations against my company yesterday claiming trademark violations from using the term "V-slot" and counterfeit product violations after I changed my listings to "Vslot". I do not sell or advertise these as an OpenBuilds product or replacement. Ironic their name suggest "open-source" but their practices are in fact centered around the legal market isolationism.

Oh my, that doesn't sound good.. It sounds like you're going to win this case given the info you're supplying. If you win, does this mean they also have to pay your legal fees? I am not very familiar with legal practice but want to wish you good luck. I think their products are 'opan-soorce' winking smiley

Btw, ratrig still sells these:
[www.ratrig.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2019 08:24AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login