Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which side does the end-stops goes?

Posted by lunar211 
Which side does the end-stops goes?
January 05, 2018 01:29PM
I was tidying up the wiring of my 3D printer and had to place the X-axis end stop on the right (the kit states it to be mounted on the left), does this change anything regarding tthe prints that come out? The only thing coming to mind is to change firmware (invert the direction of the X-axis stepper motor).

Note this kit is from China and very buggy as hell (I had to change the direction of all the motors etc,etc......)
Re: Which side does the end-stops goes?
January 05, 2018 05:09PM
The endstops can be placed at either end of either axis. The origin has to be at the front left or right rear. Pick one. Set the motor rotation to move the bed and extruder toward the switches in each axis. If the origin is front left and the X switch is on the right, set it to home-to-max, plug the endstop into the Xmax endstop input. Ditto for the Y axis endstop switch. If the origin is at left front, and the Y axis switch is at the front, set it for home-to-max and plug the endstop switch into the Ymax endstop input.

If you reverse the home-to assignment for one axis only, prints will come out mirrored.

See: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 05:12PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 06, 2018 06:45AM
Thanks a lot I was worried that my prints may come out mirrored!!!
January 07, 2018 12:08AM
origin front left (is most common, and in my view the only correct answer)

machine type I3 (ie bed moves in y)
X min @ left, X max @ right
Y min @ back, Y max @ front
Z min @ down, Z max @ up

you can put endstop either end of travel as long as you configure them correctly as min or max as needed
January 07, 2018 12:30PM
There's no "only" correct arrangement. Left-front and right-rear are equivalent- just a 180 degree rotation of each other, which swaps the min and max ends of both X and Y axes. The printer doesn't care as long as you set up the homing and endstops accordingly.

In machines with left-front origin and bed moving in the Y axis, if you home X and Y after a print has finished, and the Y limit switch is at the rear of the machine, which moves the bed to the Y=0 position, the print moves toward the back of the machine instead of moving it forward for easy removal. But you could just send the bed to the Ymax value instead of sending it home. Or you put the Y limit switch at the front of the machine, set it for home to max, and then home the Y axis after a print and the print will move to the front of the machine for easy removal. All equivalent, all easy to set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 12:42PM by the_digital_dentist.

May 17, 2018 11:28AM
I have a cartesian and have always used home as center of the plate. Why are you saying that is not possible? Works for me!
May 17, 2018 01:49PM
The origin can be anywhere, but the orientation has to be right-hand-rule compliant, unless you want the prints mirrored.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login