Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cutting Aluminum Extrusion By hand

Posted by Falcondestroyer123 
Cutting Aluminum Extrusion By hand
January 21, 2018 04:27AM
Hey guys I wondering if anyone tried cutting Extrusion by hand with a hacksaw. If one of you guys did it please tell me how straight it would be and how ruff. Thanks
Re: Cutting Aluminum Extrusion By hand
January 21, 2018 10:14AM
Even with power tools, cuts usually aren't square when finished. A hacksaw will leave a rough surface that isn't square. If you try to build a square frame with pieces cut that way you'll have to use plates in the corners to force squareness.

I've heard that MIsumi will cut parts squarely for a small extra charge, probably well worth it because bolting the pieces directly to each other saves a lot of expense for plates and hardware.

When I build using t-slot, I cut parts a few mm longer than needed, then put them on a milling machine to square up the ends and trim them to matching lengths. When I bolt them together they come out square without any plates at the corners.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 21, 2018 07:20PM
ok thanks
January 21, 2018 08:18PM
I use 80/20 Inc They have many sizes already cut just select the precut sizes.
January 22, 2018 01:29AM
In Europe, Motedis supplies extrusion cut to size too.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 22, 2018 12:25PM
Roberts_Clif
I use 80/20 Inc They have many sizes already cut just select the precut sizes.

If anyone uses 80/20 keep in mind they have a smaller slot size so not every drop in or slide in nut will fit. I just got some 80/20 2020 and had to order some slide in nuts that were 2 or 3 times more expensive than standard ones.

BTW if you know a cheap source for ones that work with 80/20 please let me know.
January 22, 2018 05:54PM
Every t-slot manufacturer has slightly different dimensions for the slot. You can buy cheap t-nuts from China that claim to fit one or another brand of t-slot, but you get what you get. A few minutes with a grinder can make nuts that are off a little fit OK. The alternative is to buy the hardware from the t-slot manufacturer and be prepared to mortgage your home to pay for them, or make your own from bar stock.

If you want to attach plates to the corners because you can't cut the ends square and bolt them directly to each other all you need is carriage bolts. 40x40 and 1.5" square t-slot has 8mm/5/16" wide slots so 8mm or 5/16" carriage bolts will fit into the slots just fine. 1" square t-slot has 1/4" wide slots, so 1/4" carriage bolts work.

January 22, 2018 10:11PM
Could i use a hacksaw and a mitre box to cut the extrusion
January 23, 2018 09:08AM
Sure. Or you could use a miter saw or a table saw with a carbide blade. But don't be disappointed when the cuts don't come out square.

April 20, 2018 03:21PM
I don't have access to a milling machine..but am building an all metal Delta with 330 mm printing surface and 1000mm verticals. I have a 10" radial arm saw and a drill press. I do have to print drill guides when dimensions are critical. I have evened the ends of extrusion by hand and it can be a bitch. But, I can't bring myself to spend $150 to have my heated bed plate machined when the .25" plate cost me $20. So I will cut it with a jig saw and file it to final dimension's. If you want to follow my build its posted on this forum. [forums.reprap.org] By the way, my Cartesian is made from mostly 2080 v-slot and I cut every one with my saw and squared them with a file. I spent six years in the airforce doing repairs on aluminum aircraft. Patching bullet holes in the field without machinery taught me you can get it very close with a file, square and calipers. Yes its slow, but I am retired and have the time. Have you ever ground aluminum extrusion on a table saw using the side of a metal cutting blade. Not safe but is a great way to square up a piece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 03:34PM by cwaa.
April 20, 2018 03:24PM
I read your post completely through and I still don't know how many teeth/inch you suggest. I haven't seen so much print that said so little.
May 16, 2018 03:36PM
Here are some recently cut horizontal bracing for my large delta. One side is a 60 deg angle and the other side is a 30 deg cut.
Attachments:
open | download - 2018-05-15 001.jpg (432.5 KB)
open | download - 2018-05-15 002.jpg (531.7 KB)
May 21, 2018 08:03AM
My opinion is, it is only necessary that they are roughly square. (about 1 mm)

Squareness of the connection is what matters, so you connect them by an inner or outer angle. If you want, you can strengthen it by a metal sheet at the outside connecting two extrusions.

What is important: don't connect the extrusions extactly but leave a space of 1-2 mm, so the connector defines the squareness, not the (wrong) extrusion connection.

In your case, the extrusions go into some 3d part at the ends of the delta, so I would define the end by the 3d part or a stand, not the extrusion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 08:06AM by JoergS5.
May 21, 2018 08:15AM
For cutting with a hacksaw:

mark the cutting line by holding your carpenter's angle and mark the lines with a sharp knife: on top and at the side visible to you. Saw without force and slowly at the beginning, as long as you dont't have resistance from the aluminium. You can support the saw with the nail of your thumb (but don't cut into the thumb...)

You will get experience in which direction you tend to differ from the optimal line, so you correct it by intention.

Be careful: if you saw quick, the aluminiuim gets hot.

Good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 08:18AM by JoergS5.
May 22, 2018 04:14AM
Some people don't use brackets to build their frames, but simply use the center screwhole to connect the extrusions. ( crossdrilled extrusion to reach the screwhead, which slides in the T-slot)
May 26, 2018 04:33AM
I connected my extruders with inner angles now and it was not stable enough. I have extrusions which are exactly cut, so I connected them without space. This helped, but there is still some movement. I use 45x45 with long parts.

I remembered my experience with woodworking: if you are machining workpieces, you should fix them with two points, for example clamps. The reason is, you want to prevent spins.

I will make additional connections to my construction.
June 24, 2018 09:48PM
I can confirm what DigitalDentist said above - Misumi US cuts extrusion to length which is both convenient and lowers the shipping cost. I order everything this way and it's above quality.
June 25, 2018 09:39PM
MatthewHall
I can confirm what DigitalDentist said above - Misumi US cuts extrusion to length which is both convenient and lowers the shipping cost. I order everything this way and it's above quality.

Are their cuts good to go as is?
June 27, 2018 08:53AM
boredom.is.me
Are their cuts good to go as is?

Normally they are, at least from Misumi GMBH but all the extrusions I have looked at from them also offer a high tolerance cutting option of ±0.2mm - it is about €6 extra per extrusion here.
August 07, 2019 06:53AM
By hand with power tools? Or by hand tools? Either way I would hit it with a sander at the end of the cut. You wont get anywhere near mill quality without a drop saw, though. Your mates will look crappy unless hidden behind corner brackets. On that note, drop saws can come in small sizes and be cheap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login